Minor Dilemma

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissVXT, Jul 29, 2013.

1. MissVXT

MissVXT Rookie

Jul 29, 2013

SO, once again, I need some advice. Several weeks ago, I posted about my interviews. This is the one I told you guys about that is relative to my newest dilemma:

Interview #3- Dream interview. It was just the principal and myself. We clicked. I had great answers for ALL of the questions. Several times during the interview, she told me that I was doing really well and that she was really enjoying talking with me. She even said that this was one of the best interviews she'd conducted. Something she said during the interview that discouraged me bit was that the position she currently had open was for 3rd grade ESL and that I may not be the person for that position, but she was expecting several more resignations. At the end of the interview, she told me that I would make a GREAT asset to her school and she didn't want to lose out on me. 2 days later, she called me to tell me she went with another candidate, but that I gave a great interview and she shared my resume with her principal friends. Bummer. I REALLY felt like that school was where I am "supposed" to be. Maybe I sound crazy, but it just felt right. The last day for teachers to resign in Texas is July 12th. Should I contact her again to see if anything else has opened up? If so, what should I say?

Well, after NOT getting that position, I interviewed at a different school (charter) and was offered a 2nd grade position that same day. I accepted and went in to sign my "At Will" contract. Well TODAY, out of NOWHERE, the principal from interview #3 contacted my ACP and "asked about me". The coordinator from my ACP called me and told me to expect a call from this principal about a potential position.

:help:

Obviously, nothing is set in stone with my dream school, but in the event that I AM offered a position here, WHAT DO I DO?! WHAT WOULD YOU DO?!

To compare & contrast a bit...

The charter school
    1. Teachers wear uniforms
    2. Minimal resources
    3. Old church building
    4. No conference period
    5. 0 year experience salary...41000
    6. 4 miles from home
    7. Nutcase administrators (Oops! Did I just say that?)
    8. PERFECT GRADE LEVEL for me (2nd!)

The dream school
    1. Wear what I want (excuse to SHOP :cool:)
    2. Lots of resources...smartboards in EVERY room
    3. BEAUTIFUL building. Like something out of a museum
    4. Conference period
    5. 0 year experience salary...47000
    6. 7 miles from home
    7. Amazing, amazing, amazing, AH-MAY-ZING administrators
    8. Unknown grade level

Sidenote: I'm thankful to have a job at all :)

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2013

You signed an "at will" contract. If you get offered a job at the other school, exercise your "at will" and go for it!

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2013

Easy. Dream school.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2013

All of the above.

6. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 29, 2013

Dream school for sure. Good luck! I hope you are offered a position there :)

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2013

As bad as I would feel about breaking contract, since it's at will, I would def take the dream school position. :) Fingers crossed!

8. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 29, 2013

Go for your dream job if you can. You never know when an opportunity like this will come your way again.

9. MissVXT

MissVXT Rookie

Jul 31, 2013

Sighhhh. What to do, what to do?

So I got a call this morning. I recognized the number and was SURE that it was going to be the principal offering me a position. Instead, it was her secretary asking me to come in for another interview on next week at 8am :(. Since the principal loved me, I can only assume that this interview will be more of a panel style...maybe other teachers who are on the team or something. Being me, I IMMEDIATELY said yes.

Once I got off the phone...I started thinking. New teacher training for the position I've already accepted starts on Monday at 8am. It's one of those mandatory attendance things. What to do, what to do. I thought about calling and asking to have my interview moved up to this week...but I hate to be a nuisance. :eek: They are not open on Fridays...tomorrow would be the only option.

I'd hate to cancel an interview for a potentially perfect fit position...but I'd also hate to go to the interview, lose the position I've already secured, not get an offer at the dream place, and be jobless.

:help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

10. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 31, 2013

I would call and explain the problem. See what happens.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 31, 2013

Call dream school, explain that you are thrilled to have the opportunity and are excited at the possibility of working there, but you have another offer and would like to know if you could come in tomorrow.

Or, Monday at 7:00 am?

12. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 31, 2013

I agree with everyone else. Call the dream school and explain the problem. All they can do is say no. Good luck!!! My fingers are crossed for you:)

13. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jul 31, 2013

That "at will" charter school would drop you like a sack of dirt if it suited them, and not give it a second thought. Your description of it is nightmarish. You owe them nothing.

14. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2013

I would try to rearrange the interview. If that doesn't work tell the charter school you have an appointment and will be there ASAP. If they don't like it tell them you will take it as a 1/2 day off. I'm sure they give you personal days.

15. MissVXT

MissVXT Rookie

Aug 1, 2013

Going in today at 4!

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2013

Good luck!

17. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Aug 1, 2013

Good luck!!

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2013

Good Luck...let us know!!!

19. Storyteller

Storyteller Rookie

Aug 1, 2013

Good luck! Oh wait...guess it is too late for that. ;) Hope it went well! Let us know!!!

20. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 1, 2013

Ooh, I hope you got it!!!!!!!

21. MissVXT

MissVXT Rookie

Aug 2, 2013

Well...

My interview didn't go too great. Principal McAwesome wasn't there...just the VP & a counselor. I didn't get the same great vibe with them and I , for some reason, was NERVOUS. More nervous than I'd ever been in an interview. I answered all the questions fairly well, but didn't feel that I was my best. At the end, the VP told me that I was really sweet and she really didn't want to hurt my feelings or for me to be upset if this wasn't my time. That pretty much confirmed to me that it would be a NO. At the end, I did make sure that she knew new teacher training for the charter started on Monday...Not that I felt it really mattered to her at that point.

Fast forward to today...

I got a call from the VP. I GOT THE JOB! :spitwater:. I was in absolute SHOCK. I still am. :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::D:D:D:D. I'm so grateful and so happy. Plus, I get to add 1.5 weeks to my summer. Thank you all so much for the advice & well wishes.

Now...off to figure out exactly how I should break the news to the charter. :dunno::dunno:

22. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

Congratulations! :)

23. MissVXT

MissVXT Rookie

Aug 6, 2013

Thank you so much!

I just found out the grade level...It's 1st! I'm excited :haha:

24. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 6, 2013