Minor Dilemma!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mstar31, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Mstar31

Mstar31 New Member

Jul 18, 2013

Hi all,

I am super excited because I interviewed for a special education teacher job at a public school and was offered the position the same day! I had the meet and greet with the superintendent, was given my HR packet, and received many "Welcome to the District!" salutations from HR, the director of special education and the superintendent.

My dilemma is this...they were unable to get my appointment on the board of ed. meeting being held this week so they won't be able to vote on me until the next meeting, presumably in the beginning of August. I am currently in a job I really hate and want to give notice but is this a bad idea? Keep in mind that if I did quit I do have some tutoring work to fall back on.

So is this just a formality and can I give notice or should I wait it out??
    Thanks guys!!! I am so excited!

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2013

Do you have to give your notice by a certain date? I know for my previous district if you don't give them at least 30 days notice before school starts they can withhold your last paycheck. If there are no deadlines I might wait even though it is usually a formality. I have heard stories on here of people not being approved by the board.

4. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jul 18, 2013

The board will approve you, especially if you already received your HR packet. If you already met the Superintendent, then you are good to go. Is this what you are worried about?

When is the first day of new teacher orientation? I would give two weeks notice for your current job two weeks until your orientation (i.e. if Orientation is Aug 14th, give your notice on Aug 1st.) You can give more then two weeks, if you want a week or two of not working before you start teaching. It's up to you.
    Also, it's not against the law to not give two weeks notice, it's just a nice thing to do with your current job. Unless you signed a contract stating you MUST GIVE AT LEAST 2 WEEKS notice, you can quit tomorrow!
    Hope this helps! Good luck with your teaching job! I'm hoping to get a Special Ed. position soon! Fingers crossed. God Bless!

5. Mstar31

Mstar31 New Member

Jul 18, 2013

I guess I am just nervously excited! This really is a dream come true and I'm so grateful it's happening. I am not under contract at my current job but I want to be fair and give the enough time to find a replacement. I am hoping to leave without any bridges burned.

6. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 19, 2013

This is usually a formality. When I began my first job, I was hired late (signed my contract one week before school began) and I began working before the board approved me.

7. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 19, 2013

I agree with what everyone else said. For my first position, I was hired before school started and my second, I was hired 3 weeks into the school year. For both, they let me start immediately and the board meeting was several weeks after I had started.