minimize very bad cooperative teacher reference

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by barronzp, Apr 5, 2016.

1. barronzp

barronzp Rookie

Apr 5, 2016

Recently, I became aware that my second student teacher preceptor gave a very bad phone reference. I was a little surprised because the written reference from last year (time of the student teaching) was below average but usable.

Is it customary to mandate cooperative teacher references? Is there any way to not list it and use alternate references from one teacher that observed me, the other cooperative teacher, and the college teacher supervisor?

What does HR do with cooperative teachers not listed as a reference. I assume I would have to list the cooperative teacher experiences and give contact information. Is there a way to designate who I want my references to be? Is it even possible to deny a request by a prospective employer to contact her for a reference?

After some though, I decided that I am going to request, and I think the cooperative teacher would agree, to not respond to HR calls. The reference check person who I hired to check the reference relayed to me that he was only able to get a hold of her because he left a note at the main office, which the school delivered to her desk. She told him that, "she doesn't want to be a part of me."

Alternatively, I could just say to prospective employers I can't get a hold of her and she never responded when asked to give a reference, she is in her late fifties and is planning to retire. Technically, I could also give her a cease and desist letter from a lawyer, which would limit her to giving title, and dates of employment (or training in this case).

I have several interviews next week. I am new at this and have no idea what a district HR woman wants to do with a cooperative teacher I did not list as a reference.

What say you? Please limit advice to the immediate problem of what to do based on impending interviews. Thank you for your support!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    miatorres likes this.
  3. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Apr 5, 2016

In my limited experience applying to schools/ districts, they just ask for a certain number of references and you can provide whoever you want as long as you provide X number of professional references. I would say if you have another cooperating teacher you can provide, then just don't bring this one up unless asked for her contact info specifically.

I applied to teaching jobs last summer after a bunch of years out of teaching and they didn't specify who I should list. My last principal when I taught before is no longer in the professional (at least locally - she was removed), so I did not list her anywhere. Instead, I listed a recent manager at a different job, a colleague at that job (the job was in education more widely, so relevant), and a colleague from when I taught previously. Nobody seemed to have any concerns about that list.

otterpop likes this.
  4. barronzp

barronzp Rookie

Apr 5, 2016

Do the rules change for recent graduates and cooperative teachers, as far as mandating all cooperative teachers?
    Though the written reference was poor-average, but usablel, should I even include it? On one hand, it may assuage issues for HR folk when I mention I couldn't get a hold of the cooperating teacher this year (she wrote the letter in Jan 2015), but having it in there may pique interest. What to do? And, what can I do, given HR constraints for new teachers listing and/or using their cooperative teachers from student teacher days? Even if the cooperative teacher agrees not to participate in a reference if called by a prospective school, only listing dates and titles--will this be suspicious?

I have worked in tutoring and pharmacy since. No school jobs this past year.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  5. barronzp

barronzp Rookie

Apr 6, 2016

During applications, should I just put the one cooperating teacher under the student teaching heading? Should I put both down, but for contact information, put unavailable for the bad cooperating teacher?
    Likewise, I am thinking of sending an email tomorrow to the cooperating teacher, encouraging her to not respond to the phone inquires, if she does not feel comfortable, including leaving a message at the main office that she is unavailable for the reference?
    Given the situation I have described, what do you think? :(

6. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Apr 6, 2016

I would just leave her off. One cooperating teacher is sufficient (most student teachers had only one).

7. barronzp

barronzp Rookie

Apr 8, 2016

I wont know until after the job fair and interviews. However, I remember AppTrack had such a mandate for both? NE USA we have two.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 8, 2016

I never used my cooperating teacher as a reference. It didn't hurt me after three years of subbing gave me a ton of other letters.

9. barronzp

barronzp Rookie

Apr 12, 2016

i've actually seen it on apps requesting it, even after subbing, but not after two years of full time work?

I think i will not even report the second cooperating teacher placement; however, it will leave a gap on the resume. do HR groups of prospective schools call cooperating teacher schools? What do they ask? Can I just refer them to the college supervisor for dates and titles, etc?

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 12, 2016

I've been teaching over twenty years and the most recent application wanted info on my student teaching. I didn't have to list my CT as a reference which is great because I lost contact with her about fifteen years or so ago.

Just list the one CT. If you have a letter of recommendation, I'd upload it, but if not, leave it out and just list the other teacher.