mini white boards for math: use them or no?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by magister, Dec 8, 2013.

1. magister

magister Rookie

Dec 8, 2013

I am doing math tutoring for a group of nine 6th graders. I have about 35 mins for each class.

Students have their own composition books to write notes and work problems, but I can also give them white boards to use.

Do you think it's worth the extra time to hand out white boards and markers for students to follow the lesson or is it better to have them work w/paper and pencil to limit time handing out white boards?

thank you

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 8, 2013

If I taught math, I would use whiteboards. I would keep the, under or on the students' desks and then hand out markers when we would use them. This would save so much paper, they can hold up their boards to show their work, etc.

I have whiteboards in my classroom, but I don't know how to incorporate it into English. I also know that my students would probably write on desks, so I'd be very reluctant to use it.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2013

I would use them. They would be especially useful when you are doing something a little more confusing or new to the students so that they don't feel so bad about making a mistake.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 8, 2013

I had some made for my class but I would only use them for ten/fifteen minutes or so. The getting boards out and putting them back up didn't seem to be worth it.

Now I have the students keep a page protector in their notebooks. They keep their marker and a rag in the protectors so everything can be brought out at once.

For students that never bring their markers and lose the ones I'e given them, it can still add to time. I need to find a better system for that.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 8, 2013

I use them in my English class. Sometimes it's only five minutes tops. They take about 30 seconds to take out and 30 seconds to put back. The kids love them! They beg to use them when we're working on grammar.

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 8, 2013

White boards aren't an issue for me. It is the dry erase markers that I always seem to have to loan out to students. I bought a whole bunch of the cheaper ones at the beginning of the year and gave them to students that refused to buy their own. But those were immediately lost. I'm not able to go out and buy even more to just get lost again.

When I had a class set of them the markers would end up smooshed or dried out. Those things are way too expensive for me to replace regularly. Even if they were just pennies, I've made a deal with coworkers that we aren't going to spend any more money on other peoples' kids when the government keeps taking more and more from us. So I just don't know how to approach this problem. I swear, kinders keep better track of their things than my sophomores.

8. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2013

For me, white boards are much faster than pencil and paper. It's also easier for me to see because they write larger and use darker colors.

I have my 2nd graders dry erase markers attached to a string and the string is taped to the lid opening desk top.

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 9, 2013

I use my white boards daily in math.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 9, 2013

I used to keep 2 dry erase markers in a boy's sock. The sock then served as the eraser. It was quick to hand out, and quick to pick up. Also, can you have the boards and supplies sitting out when students arrive? Then have them leave them on the desk when finished? That way you aren't losing any time distributing.

11. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Dec 10, 2013

I prefer slates and chalk to the hassle and expense of dry erase markers.

12. Iheartmath

Iheartmath Rookie

Dec 12, 2013

I have a class set of mini white boards. One side is blank, the other is a blank coordinate grid. I love using them with my smallest class (20.) I also like them for my small group study sessions. Students can hold up their graphs and get instant feedback! Our entire math dept. uses them.

If you're able to find a set with the coord grid on the back, that's what I'd recommend!

13. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Dec 12, 2013

Yes, I find them very useful and students like them as well. The only downside are these markers never last that long. Still wishing for a dry erase marker tree.

14. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Dec 15, 2013

English teacher here, but yes, I use them from time to time in class. The kids do enjoy them because it is something "different," and when you incorporate them in a game or a challenge or something, it will be something they remember moreso than compared to a lecture and just having them write it on a note or something.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2013

I don't use them, no one in my school does.

My only concern would be that, after we do the problem, it gets erased, so it's not in their notes.

I like my kids having tons of practice problems to go back to. For next week's trimester exams, I told them to go back to their notes and redo problems, then compare them with the original, correct versions. Had those problems been done on whiteboards, the kids wouldn't have them to go back to.

16. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Dec 19, 2013

I have used them from time to time with my population of students.