Mini Offices - How do you use them?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by January_Violet, Jul 26, 2007.

1. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

I've noticed a seemingly great tool on Busy Teacher Cafe called Mini Office. It seems like an excellent tool, but how is it used?

3. lorac

lorac Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

My roommate when I taught and lived in NJ made some without anything on them for the kids to use when doing seatwork and tests. She taught 1st grade and had tables. She had seen some cheating and also general talking, so she did this to prevent all that. The kids loved them - she called them their offices and they felt all grown up. :)

4. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

So, they aren't used for as a teaching tool. I've seen them used as "forts" to shield cheating but theses have reference types of things on them.

5. lorac

lorac Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

They probably could be used for teaching - I don't know. I was just saying how my roomie used them. :)

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 26, 2007

They are used a reference for reading, writing, or math. I haven't made them but I'd like to someday...

7. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

So, after you introduce them, would you have them in a self-serve type of area, so the kids can access them while working indep.

8. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 26, 2007

I am planning on making them this year. www.teachingheart.com had good examples, instructions, etc.

I have "privacy folders" that the kids use to prevent cheating (just a two pocket folder that they stand around their work). But for the offices, I will teach them about the different items that I will have on the folders so that they can use them at any non-testing time as a personal reference.
    I can't decide if each kid will get two-one for math and one for lang arts, or have one with math on one side and lang arts on the other...hmmm...any thoughts from anyone who has used them/seen them work??

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  9. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jul 26, 2007

mini offices

I went to theat website but I couldn't find the mini offices... what do I click when I get there? This site is about someone who does workshops.:confused:

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 26, 2007

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2007

THis may not be much help because it is for kindergarten but these are what I use when we do journals or writing activities. My kids love them:
    mini office

12. blessedmommyx3

blessedmommyx3 Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

I use them in third grade for cheating/privacy issues, and I put the cursive alphabet on it, mult. chart, writing checklist, and a few other things - I just have to be sure that what I am testing on won't be affected by what is on there.

13. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

I am planning to make them for this year (eek! I'd better get to work!!) for writing. I'll be using the Daily 5 and one of the independent work choices is work on writing. I'd like to have a basket several mini-offices near the writing folders with things like editing marks, what do do when you can't spell a word, etc. Students who are working on writing can take one to use and then return it to the basket at the end of the writing period.

14. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

These are very nice. Did you make one for each student?

15. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2007

I have enough for each student. A parent helper made them for me, and I had her make 30 of them. They are laminated and have held up quite well for several years now. I really like them. :)

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2007

A friend of mine uses them for "privacy" in her 2nd grade classroom. Her kids keep them (folded up) in their desks (which are grouped) for use when she thinks they need them. In addition to preventing cheating, they are good for helping ADD/ADHD kids to focus on their work.

17. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 26, 2007

Whoops! :eek: So sorry, it is .net. HEre is the site: http://www.teachingheart.net/minioffice.html

18. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 26, 2007

I like the idea of one side being math, one side being for literacy. I am going to make them this year also. I actually am going to have the kids make them, and we will add on to them when things come up in class. Each child will have their own. I am trying to decide whether I want to use 3 or 4 folders. My kids sit at tables so there is less space than if they sat at their own desk... I will have to think about this.

19. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

Thanks for bringing this up. I will do a model and the kids can make them during the first week. Excellent.

20. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 26, 2007

January...I used them this year. My kids made them and I laminated them. We used them for tests (except spelling) and they became private areas for the children to do their writing. They were always excited to get their writing offices out. Here's a photo of it.
    [​IMG]

21. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 26, 2007

Also, I only used two folders (there expensive). As you can see, they were plenty large enough to fit exactly around a desk.

22. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

These are really neat! I teach 6th grade, but I think even my kids would get good use out of these. I'm thinking that I would want to get them laminated, and have one of the spaces work as an individual white board.... you can use overhead markers on lamination... So fun!

23. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jul 26, 2007

mini offices

They look great. Our school gets those from our "basement supplies" which come out of total school budget, but not my budge..........Great idea, thanks:)

24. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

Oooo - I use privacy folders for testing(file folders stapled together), but having the kids make their own PERSONAL folders and then laminating them...that's a great idea. I can see that it would be a good idea to use them for writing, because my kids sit together at tables, and it gets old having three kids at the same table writingd and drawing EXACTLY the same story. Thanks!!! :)

25. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

Thanks a lot. This is great. This is another activity that we can work on during the first week.

26. shortee

shortee Companion

Jul 27, 2007

WOW!!! This is awesome. Thanks for the link. My kids are going to love these. I've never done them before. :thanks:

27. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2007

I use them and love them! It's well worth the time and effort to make and laminate. I got it from busyteacherscafe as well and so glad I did.

The kids can use when we take a test or when they want some privacy.

28. castlio

castlio New Member

Jun 27, 2009

using mini offices with 2nd graders

I've used them for 3 years with my 2nd graders. I used 3 file folders, put resource information for math, reading, spelling, writing on one side of the 4 panels and left the other side blank. Then I laminated them and passed them out to the students during the first week of school and discussed all the resources. Dduring the year as I talked about something that was on their offices we would revisit that. The other side was used facing them whenever they took a test. So they were used at least once a week during spelling tests. Then the students would put them up as they needed them for information or privacy. I made them the first year I taught 2nd grade and after 3 years of use, passed them on to another teacher to use since I'm moving to 5th grade. Now I'm in the process of gathering materials to make them for my 5th graders. The students and I both loved them.

29. heymrsp

heymrsp Rookie

Jun 27, 2009

Can you tell me what kind of materials you are thinking of including? I love the idea of these but just can't get started on what to put into them for my fifth graders. Thanks!

30. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 27, 2009

Heymrsp,
    The steps in the writing process is a good one to use for 5th graders. So are the definitions of synonyms, antonyms, and homophones (homonyms).

31. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 27, 2009

I made mini-offices for half of my kids last year. They looked like the ones pictured above - same size anyway. Like previous posters, I also used them as guards. But what's cool about mini offices is that they can be adapted and modified to each student's needs. I had lower level kids that needed their name, the alphabet, number line, and days of the week on them. Meanwhile another couple of kids would have the multiplication chart, paragraph-writing sandwhich, and a list of hard-to-spell words on theirs. All the "offices" had the kiddo's names on them and were kept in one spot so the kids could grab them if they needed them.

They do take printer ink (I printed mine in color - I'm very anal about stuff like that) and a lot of time to cut, assemble, glue, etc. Then they have to be laminated. But they were really cool and effective when they were done. Totally worth it.

32. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jun 27, 2009

I've made these before and liked them but I let the kids take them home at the end of the year so I have tomake them all over again.

What if I used 2 folders without brads (from Staples when they're on sale for 1 cent)? After laminating I could cut open the pockets on the inside. I'm not sure yet what I'd use the pockets for. Any ideas? And do you think they would open and stand as well as regular file folders? It might be too thick to run through the laminator. Oh well, just an idea.

33. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 27, 2009

What would be good resources to include on a 3rd grade one? This is my first year teaching this grade level, so I don't have any idea as to what they might want to have easy access to.

34. Irma

Irma Companion

Jun 27, 2009

I've used them now for 5 years and really can't do without them. This year I will be making them first and then kids can color and I'll laminate. It was crazy getting them to make their own so I'll do it this year and see how it goes. We use them for privacy screens and students seem to use them when they want. I really like them. This year I am adding a friendly letter example, graphic organizer for a basic sentence and an editing checklist.

35. Ems

Ems Rookie

Jun 27, 2009

36. 4inteacher

4inteacher Rookie

Jun 28, 2009

I've decided to use mini-offices with my fifth graders this year. I wanted them to have a lot of reference information but not all at once, so I made my info removable. I used photo pockets from old cheap photo albums (like the free ones you get when you get pictures developed). I glued them down with a glue stick (6 horizontally and 2 vertically). Then I made index cards with different information (measurement conversions, parts of speech, writing process, multiplication table, etc.) and laminated them. Each set of cards has a number (one set per student) and I plan to pass out the cards I want them to have in their offices each day or week (haven't decided yet). Then for tests, they can remove all of the cards for that particular subject. I covered the offices with contact paper and cut slits for the cards to slide in and out. I hope to get pictures up soon!

37. dcalhoun

dcalhoun Companion

Jun 28, 2009

Those are really cute! Great idea.

38. TeachinNV

TeachinNV New Member

Jun 28, 2009

Hi...

I'd like to use mini offices in my second grade class. What should be included? It's my first year teaching second grade, and any ideas are appreciated.

Lori

39. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jun 29, 2009

mini offices with photo pockets

I'd really like to see these!:)