Mini lesson over the phone..?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teacherkoo, May 21, 2014.

1. Teacherkoo

Teacherkoo Rookie

May 21, 2014

Hey there!
    So I am in need of some advice. In the county where I have applied to work, they are having all the applicants go through a phone interview where we will need to teach a lesson over the phone (about 5 minutes) then we will answer questions about the lesson....or at least that is my understanding.

Does anyone know how you would teach a lesson over the PHONE? I am panicking over here!! Plus all my lessons I have in mind will take longer than 5 minutes.

I was thinking about doing a 1st or 2nd grade reading lesson (but it can be any subject) and read a short passage and ask questions, but doing it over the phone is what is confusing me...like how I will approach it In the beginning, how to make it short enough, how to have an "activity"....everything really. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!!:)

3. Rox

Rox Cohort

May 21, 2014

Are you able to send a link to a website or video that they can look at while you talk to them?

4. Teacherkoo

Teacherkoo Rookie

May 21, 2014

No :/. This is why I am panicking about it. The interviewer will basically just listen to me teach the lesson and I am assuming they will answer questions as if they were the student(s).

All I know is that I have to pick a standard, create an objective for the student, plan a mini lesson that is no longer than 5-7 minutes, and be able to answer a series of questions about the lesson after I "teach" it.

5. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

May 22, 2014

Maybe you could take a look at some online teaching videos to see what those teachers do, places such as Kahn Academy or other teacher websites. That might give you ideas about how you could develop your own lesson. At least with an over the phone lesson, you can have notes to help you and no one can see you read them - though you might want to make sure you don't sound too "scripted."

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 22, 2014

Since they're not giving you many options, I would just describe a simple 5 minute concept over the phone, and use as many descriptive metaphors, and in-depth stories from my life as possible to get the meaning across. Then I would ask the interviewer to respond in a critical way by asking them to apply the concept to their own lives.

i.e. "Blahblah" is when ..... [description]

This is kind of like how [metaphor].

This reminds me of the time when I [story from your own life].

When was there a time in your life when you felt "Blahblah" and how did it affect your decisions afterwards?

7. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

May 22, 2014

Don't really have any advice….. but I think this would be extremely hard and I would not like to do it at all. Let us know how it goes.

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

May 22, 2014

I don't know how a lesson could be 5 minutes. Are you sure they don't want you to just describe in detail a lesson you would teach?