Mini Economy

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by teach12, Jul 20, 2010.

1. teach12

teach12 Companion

Jul 20, 2010

Has anyone done a mini economy with first grade before? If so, how did you run it and was it a positive experience in your class? I am thinking of doing one this year (probably starting second semester) but wanted to hear about any actual experiences in first grade beforehand! Thanks!

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2010

do you mean like earning pennies and they buy "stuff" with them?

4. teach12

teach12 Companion

Jul 21, 2010

Yes, that is what I am talking about. I have a general idea of how I think I am going to run it, but was hoping I could get some ideas and advise from people who have actually used this system before. I even bought adorable little piggy banks from Oriental Trading for the kids to decorate and keep their money in :)

5. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jul 23, 2010

I thought about working it into a community project. The Heifer program...

http://www.heifer.org/site/c.edJRKQNiFiG/b.6134611/

The class earns money in piggy banks and when they reach enough money they can buy an animal to send to another country. The Heifer program sends AMAZING lesson plans in a huge binder. Its a great resource for teaching and is aligned with standards!

6. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Jul 23, 2010

Tell us more about the Heifer program. I went to the website, but it was a little vague. You order the kit and do the lessons. But you talk about filling a piggy bank to buy an animal. Is that part of the lessons? How much money do you have to raise?

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 23, 2010

You buy whatever animal you can for the amount of money you raise. Children bring in whatever they can. My entire school participates in this project. Order the lesson plan book and it'll explain a lot more, it's part of the lessons. You can buy a chicken, cow, or whatever animal you can.