Mini Dry-Erase Boards

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mrsburf, Aug 2, 2010.

1. mrsburf

mrsburf Rookie

Aug 2, 2010

I reallly like using the dry-erase boards for student response and individual practice. I cannot afford to buy a class set. Any ideas for alternatives?

Thanks!

3. radteachingk

radteachingk Rookie

Aug 2, 2010

I bought some shower board (the real name of it is escaping me right now, but it starts with an m) at Lowe's and had them cut it for me into 12"x12" squares. They work pretty good, but will get dirty (permanently) if they aren't cleaned each and every time! I also lined the edges with colorful duct tape so my little ones won't poke an eye out! ;)

4. cutelilram

cutelilram Rookie

Aug 2, 2010

5. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Aug 3, 2010

Here's a really inexpensive way...

Stick white paper or lined paper in a sheet protector. Dry erase markers write nicely on these sheet protectors and erase just the same. You can add cardboard in the sheet protector as well to make it more sturdy.

OR....

Get plain white postcards or large postcards from Vistaprint. The markers write and erase nicely on the postcards. I've already tried it.

6. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Aug 3, 2010

Target had them in the $ spot a couple weeks ago. I got a class set of 30.

The shower board idea is also good! I haven't done it, but I have a neighbor teacher who has. Her boards look great!

7. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Aug 3, 2010

Yeah, I went and got a class set myself. They may not be the highest quality in the world, but they'll do. Now if I only knew where to get a cheap set of Expo Markers.

8. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 3, 2010

Dollar tree has a pack of 4 dry erase markers for #1. Obviously they aren't Expo, but they work!

9. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Aug 3, 2010

Have you tried a dollar store? That's where I get them (living north of the border). They're cheaply made but they get the job done.

Last year, I bought a stick-on dry erase roll (3' x 9', I think) that I put on my cupboard doors as a working word wall. Here's a link for what I'm talking about. Just cut it to the preferred size, peel off the backing and stick. For your sake, maybe you could put it on the front of the students' binders? Maybe even their desk surface? I've toyed with this latter idea but things never seem to stick to desks any more.

10. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Aug 3, 2010

The Lakeshore Learning Store sells them in large packs for about $30. I think there's 32 in a box. No eraser cap and they're not Expo brand but they're better than the dollar store quality. You can order online if there isn't a store near you.

11. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Aug 3, 2010

As funny as it seems, the shower board works fabulous! This will be my 4th year using them and it only cost me $12. I do take the time twice a year to use some turtle wax on them. It seems to really help the dry erase marker come off!

A second suggestion, our principal did a set of these for everyone in our building, is to use two different colored sheets of paper and place them in a document protector. The two different colored sheets can work for yes/no, true/false type questions. (I just write on the board, white = true, blue = false) And the document protector acts similar to a white board! Students can write their answer right on the paper. I think if I was an early elementary teacher, one of the papers I would put in the document protector would be lined paper to practice writing letters.

I don't know what the round clips are called, but I just have a large round (almost key chain like, but it hooks together) that I use to store all of them. I put the clip through one of the three hole punches for the document protector and hang it in my room. Works like a charm.

12. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 3, 2010

Target has small white boards with markers for $1. I also use shower board.

13. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 3, 2010

I use both showerboard (a class set cut to 12"x14" cost me $12.50 at Lowes because the manager gave me a 50% teacher discount) and the sheet protector pages. Those work WONDERFULLY for graphing!

14. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Aug 3, 2010

If you have access to a laminator, you could also simply laminate plain white paper. Erasing off of the laminating is no problem. To add sturdiness, you could add to cardboard, binders, etc.

15. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2010

I use the page protector sleeves. As someone mentioned, I like to slip in ruled paper for cursive practice. I can also slip in handwriting papers for them to trace, or practice sheets/worksheets that can then be re-used (this works great for games and centers!)

16. 5throx

5throx Rookie

Aug 3, 2010

Find out if you can use legislative money...in my state I get about $400 to spend on whatever I want for the classroom...I just have to leave it behind when I leave. If you don't have legislative money, one of my cooperating teachers while I was student teaching took a peice of cardstock and stuck it into a sheet protector and used those for white boards.