Mind wandering....

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by lsho, Mar 3, 2010.

1. lsho

lsho Rookie

Mar 3, 2010

Just need a little help on this one.

Maybe it is a mid-year, sun shining, almost spring hump but I can't stay focused!! I have progress reports going home in a few days and a STACK of papers to grade. Yet I can't get focused. I feel like my lesson plans are barely a day ahead of the game. I'm just...wandering to a mental beach most days!!

Is this at least mildly normal? Any suggestions on how to get focused and keep on top of my grading even as the sun starts to shine? I thought this lack of motivation would come in year 10, 12, 13... Not year 1! Love my job but man, what is going on!

THANK YOU!! :whistle:

3. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2010

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. My kids keep asking me "Did you grade this yet? Did you grade this yet?"

Seriously, dude. You turned it in 5 minutes ago. There are 130 essays/projects/homework packets/quizzes/tests to grade. You're in 7th grade - let's learn to chill a bit. And then it's LA, so we read. A lot. In class. And I'm trying to keep those 3 boys in the corner from whispering go sit down and hey give me that note go sit down and no you can't have a sticker until you're done go sit down and STOP CLIMBING ON THAT DESK AND FOR THE LOVE JUST SIT DOWN.

Did I mention the tutoring and the meetings after school and the phone calls - which oops, need to make one now - and by the time I get home, I am exhausted and I seriously DO NOT CARE ABOUT READING YOUR ESSAY/PROJECT/TEST/HOMEWORK. And no, you still can't have a sticker. You. still. are. not. sitting. down.

It's totally normal. I'm in my 4th year. When you get like this, you need two days off work - not Friday and Saturday. They are "Mental Health Day" and "Catch Up Day." Just make sure your sub lessons don't involve anything you have to grade!