Mimios

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissCeliaB, Jul 29, 2010.

1. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 29, 2010

So, I may have the option of getting a Mimio or a Smartboard. The Mimio seems like a much more economical option. Sell me (and help me sell my principal) on the Mimios. She is only familiar with SmartBoards, and is skeptical. Do you like your Mimio? If you've liked both, which did you like better? Are there any problems you have regularly with your Mimio?

3. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 29, 2010

well this is the first year we get both, but i did go to a mimio workshop and they are just alot smallerr and i think less of the hassle. In my opinion if you already have a whiteboard then get the mimio, it takes up less space. I would only purchase the smartboard if u didnt aready have the white board. I didnt get the option, our administration team wrote up the proposal so they took the white bboard..they are teachers as well. Our principal felt she had to be fair so she bought us mimios.l

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 29, 2010

But, don't they do the same thing? Why do you need both?

5. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 29, 2010

they do the exact same thing..you only need one..but what i am saying is if you do not have a regular white board you cannot use the mimios (you need a whiteboard for it) the smartboardd comes with it its all attached, but its more expensive

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 29, 2010

I ADORE my mimio. We got them last year and they are fantastic. You do have to have a white board (the Mimio person said we could use our showerboards, but they have to have a good clear shine. Our principal bought all of us a 4 X 8 white board. Mimio has great customer service, too. I emailed their tech support about a problem with my pen, the immediate response was "We'll put a new one in the mail today, you'll have it in 2 days." (They are almost $100 to buy, but warranty covers replacement.) A co-worker used his cell to call yesterday because something wouldn't work right, they helped him fix it right away. (He just needed to change a setting.) You can buy the Promethean software and load it on your computer and it does just about everything the Promethean will do. (One or two small tools won't work, but that's it.) I wasn't sure about them going with Mimios, but I've been very happy with mine.

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 29, 2010

Love my mimio!

8. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 29, 2010

I like my mimio. You use regular markers on a regular white board. No fear of ruining a board like with Smart Board. Plus, it is more portable.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 29, 2010

True! I love that it's portable. If I'm going to have a sub and don't want them or the kids trying to use it, I just pop it off and store it. I went to a 3 day Promethean training since we have their software. Everyone else had a Promethean board and they spent half an hour talking about what to do if someone accidentally wrote on it with a marker. I just sat there all smug because I can write all over mine with a marker! :D

10. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 29, 2010

about how much does a mimeo system cost?

11. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 29, 2010

Mimio makes me think of the old school copy machines...any old timers remember those?

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 29, 2010

LOL My school still has one of those!

I'm not sure of the exact price, I think it was just over $700 for us, then another $150 or so for the board. Their website is www.mimio.com. You should be able to find a price there.

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 30, 2010

So, what exactly can you do with a mimio? I actually have one, but I've never had a projector and laptop until this year, so I've never gotten it out :blush:. I was under the impression it basically saved your writing...but I'm sure there is more to it. Can you tell me some sample lessons?

14. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2010

hmm, our tech. director said he didn't like the mimeo.....don't know why though....

15. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 30, 2010

KC, it projects onto your board and makes your board become interactive. It can range from having kids circle, highlight, etc to making lessons (think powerpoints) that they move objects in, etc. For example, I found one on the Mimio site that had created this forest scene with a large lake. The kids used the stylus (pen) to "fish" in the lake for words. They would drag the words out and decide if they were adjectives or not. You can manipulate math manipulatives (ok that's an odd sentence!), basically anything a Smartboard or Promethean can do. Check out the www.mimio.com site to look at their lessons. There's a free trial you can download to view them, if you have the software you can load it on more than one computer (I think the license lets you do two.)

16. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

Don't get both. If you already have a white board in your room you don't need the Smart Board which will just take up A LOT of space.

I enoy my Mimio. I have a lesson on using quotation marks. The
    sentences are displayed and had the quotation marks in a box beneath. The students used the stylus to drag the quotation marks to their proper places. It's pretty amazing.

17. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jul 30, 2010

that's what I thought of to!

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

Okay, so I've used a Smartboard before, and the things I used most were the write-to-type feature, where it took what you hand wrote and converted it to type. I also used it like a giant touch screen computer, which is what I want to use it for now, with prezis, and with my video editing software, to give tutorials to students about how to use it. Does it have those capabilities? Or am I better off getting a Smartboard? I just don't want to talk my principal into paying $700 for something that barely does what I want it to do. I'm still very skeptical that it's going to work as well as I want it to.

19. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

See if this helps:
    http://kmanzy1.wordpress.com/2008/07/23/smart-board-vs-mimio-vs-wiimote/

http://www.davis.k12.ut.us/dist/techtalk/S01pg3.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZnJ-mNzLYI

http://www.backbonecommunications.com/news/mimio-vs-smartboard/

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2010

I do...and if I focus really hard I can smell the ink.

21. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

Thanks for the links. I think those will be helpful in convincing my principal to let me get a Mimio instead of a Smartboard. I'm almost completely sold on that instead.

22. minimar1

minimar1 Rookie

Jul 30, 2010

I have used both. For two years in a row, I had a mimio which was just fine for me. But, all if a sudden I found out what you could do with a smartboard and I felt like I was missing something. Luckily, next school year I will be getting my Airliner Slate (which is like a Smarboard but portable and can be used on any white board) and am absolutely excited about it! If I had to make a choice, I would definitley go for the Smartboard...it has too many more options than mimios.

23. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 31, 2010

But what are those options? I've seen all of these demos online and it looks like they do the same things as far as what I need them to do. What features of the Smartboard do you use that you can't do with the Mimio?

24. Chalk

Chalk Companion

Jul 31, 2010

Promethean board with a airliner is they only way to go IMHO.

Even with smartboard and Airliner is and absolute treasure.

If I understand it correctly the Mimio does everything the smartboard does but without the permanent mounted white board.

25. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 31, 2010

The airline seems excessive since I have a tablet pc. Why do I need a promethean over a mimio?

26. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 31, 2010

So Mimios and Smartboards are the same? I always thought a SB "did more." I think my principal is getting us Mimios, now I'm excited.

27. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 3, 2010

OK, so I just had a chance to check out what I have. It's a Mimio Interactive + Capture. From the website, it doesn't look like it can do much more than "capture" notes written on the board. Am I wrong? That just doesn't seem like it's worth the trouble to me. I dunno...

With a projector, can you control your desktop? Like if I wanted to open, say, a Word document, can I do that like on a Smartboard?

I tried to go to the site and look at lesson plans, but I had to register, log in, and when I finally got all that done, I had to join certain groups-so much of a pain I just gave up.

I need to see someone using this thing...is there a Youtube video anyone knows about?

28. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 3, 2010

Yes, you can control your desktop ... somewhere in this thread I posted some sites and vids that compare SB and Mimio. See if that helps.

29. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 3, 2010

I will, thanks. I am currently finding any opportunity to avoid putting away my final 4 boxes of stuff, so that will be the perfect distraction!

30. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Aug 3, 2010

I love that smell, but I don't really miss the blue ink that always smeared. I do miss having Rizographs (like mimeos but with black-not so easily smeared ink). AAAHHH, the days of unlimited copying. :D

31. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2010

We have a riso right beside the photocopier in our school office.

32. minimar1

minimar1 Rookie

Aug 3, 2010

Both the mimio and the smartboard allow you to control your desktop, and with both you can do the basic functions like dragging, selecting, clicking, printing...

The additional features of a smartboard, are among others that you can have your document camera linked to it as well and manage it from there (awesome function!!), and it has other features that the mimio doesn't (or at least I never found) like shading part of your screen to highlight just what you want, converting handwritten text to standard print, taking pictures to freeze something on your screen, cloning images with just a click, locking the functions when you don't want kids to move anything (like when you have to turn around to pick up the phone and they are let by themselves close to the smartboard), etc.

The airliner does exactly the same, only that it is portable and kids don't have to stand up to the board to write or use the stylus pen, they can do it all from their desks (without blocking the light from the projector).

33. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 3, 2010

You can highlight just a portion of the screen with the mimio and you can convert handwritten text to printed text. You can take images from videos and insert them, or from anything you find on the web (portion of an article, etc). The mimio allows you to lock objects, as well. I don't know about the document, other than I have a remote for it, so that's what I use.