Milk atlernatives

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 13, 2013

Before discovering I was allergic to milk (not lactose intolerant, I'm allergic; makes me sneezy and [sorry] phlegmy), cereal and ice cream were near the top of my list for favorite foods. Over the course of about a year I was finally able to totally wean myself off of cereal. It took me so long because I HATE soy milk and couldn't "get used to it." Then I discovered almond milk. Wow! It's really not so bad and I can enjoy cereal again!

Has anyone ever tried some of the other "milks" out there like oat, rice or hemp? As much as I can tolerate almond milk, I still can't stomach it as a total milk replacement because it's so gritty. It's not noticeable in cereal, but I can't take it in my coffee. I still use a tad of milk in my morning Joe. :eek:

I have always wanted to try the vanilla or chocolate almond milk versions but they are loaded with sugar! 20g for a glass of chocolate?!? I avoid artificial sweeteners of all kids, even the 'natural' ones like stevia, because I have read they cause metabolic derangements (see link if you're curious) and are generally so, so bad for you, even in moderation. Bummer!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/07/11/200488420/do-diet-drinks-mess-up-metabolisms

But back to milks, lol. If you drink milk alternatives, what brands and types do you like best? My favorite so far is plain, lightly sweetened almond milk from Trader Joes. The unsweetened version is so bland :(

3. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 13, 2013

I use unsweetened almond milk in my morning protein shake/smoothie every day. I can't taste a difference from regular milk in there, and it's a lot less calories. I have drank Almond Breeze (made by Blue Diamond) and Silk brands.

I can't get used to almond milk in my cereal...still use regular milk for that. (I eat cereal as lunch or dinner sometimes).

I will rarely buy 6-packs of individual cartons of chocolate almond milk (its really yummy!) and drink it as a chocolate treat. These are Silk brand as well.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 13, 2013

Coconut milk! They even have a yummy ice cream.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2013

I love using vanilla almond milk to make oatmeal in the crockpot. Beyond that, I love regular milk. I'd be sad if there came a point where I couldn't drink it!

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

I use vanilla almond milk for my cereal, no sugar or sugar substitute added. I sometimes treat myself to the version with sugar because it makes the best chocolate shake! That's pretty rare, though.

I've never noticed any texture...and I have major mouth texture issues. Maybe another brand?

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

Try goat milk.

It's less likely to cause allergic reactions and tolerated by people who are lactose intolerant, too.

8. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jul 13, 2013

I use almond milk, typically unsweetened vanilla. I've tried coconut milk, but it was too coconutty for me.

9. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 13, 2013

I've never noticed a texture to Almond milk either except when I tried to make my own. I like Almond Breeze brand, which someone mentioned. I've never found another milk alternative that I like better, and I really don't like soy milk much either.

If it's just for your coffee, a lot of those coffee specific creamers out there like Coffee-mate are non-dairy. They're not great for you, but they're heavier than milk so you could likely get away with just a splash. I don't use them so I can't speak for the taste or anything. I think Silk makes a soy creamer as well, and that might taste better than soy milk.

10. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2013

I like soy milk. Instead of buying chocolate almond milk, why not just buy regular and then put in chocolate syrup? That's what I did, just as delicious and not as much sugar.

Also, as far as ice cream- I was vegan for a little over a year and I found an excellent vegan ice cream! Gosh I just can't remember the name, but I think it had the word "Bella" in it. They also made gelatos which were fantastic. My favorite was the Mexican chocolate ice cream and the mango. OH! And they had a Cabernet ice cream too. Sooooo yummy!

I remembered- it's Ciao Bella. Not all is vegan (dairy free), but most are. Expensive but worth it.

11. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 13, 2013

Tofutti Cuties are my favorite non-dairy ice cream option. They're little ice cream sandwiches. SO good! There are tons of good vegan/non-dairy ice creams out there.

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 13, 2013

I love almond milk. I can't stand the taste of regular milk of any %.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 13, 2013

Oh, yes that is good! I had the Cabernet. I hid it under the frozen brussel sprouts in the freezer so my hubby wouldn't find it LOLOL

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 13, 2013

NPR had an interview on recently comparing the amounts of calcium in all the cow milk alternatives. Of course, I can't remember which had a lot and which had very little. But, calcium is a consideration. You could search for the topic on NPR.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2013

I've heard that soy products can be bad for people, especially little boys, because soy is a natural estrogen (or something like that). That might be something to think about, too, when replacing milk with other products.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

We get enough soy as is...it's in everything! I think it's best to avoid consuming soy milk.

17. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 14, 2013

I love soy milk, but I quit drinking it when I heard it's linked to breast cancer... bummer. I've had almond milk, but I agree about the texture.. I don't know what the answer is, but I'd be interested to know what others think.

18. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2013

I like the coconut-almond blend from Almond Breeze. It is super refreshing on a hot day. I don't eat cereal, but my dad has his with Silk vanilla soy every day.

19. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 14, 2013

I heard it, Upsadaisy. Soy milk was the winner, by far :( I can't remember where almond milk fell on the spectrum, but I think it was better than the oat, hemp, or rice varieties.

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2013

Most almond milks have more calcium per serving than dairy (although it's fortified). It's bioavailability isn't quite as good, but all things considered is, in my opinion, a much better choice.

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2013

I have had rice milk...vanilla, Not that I'd drink a glass after a piece of cake, but on cereal it was good!!