Military Academy

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by P Chang, Jan 5, 2015.

1. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Jan 5, 2015

I'm not getting anywhere in the teaching department. Seems there aren't many schools looking to hire a teacher with certification but no classroom time. Even when I complete my Master's in Education, it still looks as though landing a teaching job will be tough because every position I look into wants a minimum of three years teaching experience. Not sure how they expect new teachers to get teaching experience if nobody wants to give them a shot. But, that's a whole other thing.

Anyhow, I thought I'd try a different route and look into military academies. I shot a resume off to one of them for a non-teaching position they had advertised and got an email asking when I could come in for an interview. That was yesterday. The place is about a six-hour drive from me, so I told them I'm available anytime this coming week and am waiting to hear back.

At the least, it's a job in an education environment where my prior military and law enforcement background can be blended with my education degree. Has anyone else done anything similar? Am wondering if this might be a good way to cut my teeth, so to speak, and improve my resume to the point of maybe someone giving me a shot at a classroom of my own sometime down the road.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 5, 2015

That might be an interesting alternative for you! I got around the experience thing by subbing for a couple of years and then finding a school that valued my non-teaching experience, but I could afford to sub. This sounds like a good match, especially with your background.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 5, 2015

I really applaud your creativity and persistence! It will pay off some day, I'm sure of it.

5. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Jan 5, 2015

Sadly, had I done my undergrad in Criminal Justice rather than ESOL, I could teach in a university upon getting my Master's in Education. Oh well...hindsight is 20/20.

A guy from the military academy is going to call me in the next half hour. I'm wondering if perhaps they won't make me drive up there to interview and just do it over the phone. Would be great if I can land the job because I could use the $$$ and the listing mentioned housing is provided, which would be icing on the cake.

6. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Jan 6, 2015

The position I applied for is the TAC Officer. I actually applied for that position to two military schools...both are in different states. I spoke with the Commandant of one of the schools yesterday and we will be speaking to him again today. If the over-the-phone stuff goes well, then I'll be invited to tour the school and meet in person.

I'm hoping the hiring process will be a quick one and I can start working soon, provided I'm the candidate they decide to hire. Given my prior military service, deputy sheriff employment, and government contract work, along with my teaching degree and soon-to-have Master's in Education, I cannot imagine a more qualified applicant, but stranger things have happened, so I'll just have to wait and see.

I think I've looked into every military school in the country. Which one does your son attend...and are they hiring? :lol:

7. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Jan 6, 2015

The phone interview went well, and as far as I can tell, I all but have the job. My wife and I have been invited up to the campus and will be there from tomorrow until early Thursday evening...we'll stay at the academy tomorrow night in one of their apartments. The Commandant said he wants to ensure we like the place.

With a little bit of luck, I'll be able to start as early as Monday.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 7, 2015

That's WONDERFUL! If you have accepted the invitation, I'm assuming you agree with me.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2015

That's terrific! What state will you be moving to?

10. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Jan 8, 2015

Just got home...got the job! I'll load up my vehicle tomorrow, drive back to the school Saturday, get situated, and start on Monday. I'm so relieved I landed the job and my wife and I are really impressed with the place and think everyone we met there is very nice. The President of the academy wants to hire my wife as the school's photographer, and she will provide photos for the new website they'll launch in the near future. But, my wife and son won't move up for another 4 to 6 weeks...that way I can get familiar with the job, and the school will have some more time to work out the housing situation (we'll be given an apartment on the campus).

Swansong1...it's in Alabama.

While I won't be teaching ESOL, I will be training, and I think this is actually going to be better than if I had ended up in an ESOL classroom somewhere.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 8, 2015

Excellent news! What a unique opportunity!

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2015

Smart move and I am so happy for you! It is impossible to feel bad about a real, here we go, job. Best of luck and smart thinking.

13. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2015

Congrats, good for you for thinking outside the box

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2015

Congrats!

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 9, 2015

PLEASE stay with this forum and tell us about your new adventures. I'm absolutely fascinated!

16. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Jan 9, 2015

Thanks for all the support...one of the reasons I like this website is because everyone is so nice and always helpful with advice.

I'll certainly continue being a member of this board. While I don't have the experience most here have, I feel I can still offer some good advice on occasion, and I can certainly continue learning a lot from you all.

17. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2015

I'm so glad everything worked out so well for you! (although the Sunshine State should be sorry to be losing such a dedicated professional!!)

18. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Mar 17, 2015

Just thought I'd drop in and let you all know the job is going quite well. There's a bit of a learning curve, but I'm picking things up quickly and am enjoying the job.

Wanting to get more involved in the school, and it's success, I started a Boy Scout Troop there and it has taken off nicely. We had our first event two weekends ago (hiking in a national forest) and have a camping trip planned at the end of this month.

We're on Spring Break at the moment, so I'm taking the opportunity to move up my wife and son. The school has hooked us up with a 2-bedroom apartment on the school grounds and that will make things quite convenient for me. And with 300+ acres, there's plenty of room for my son to roam around (a bit change from Florida, where large yards are rare unless you have large money).

I'm still working on my Master's in Education, although I have taken a few weeks off so I can get the moving thing done. I'll start up again next week. The grad courses are brutal, but I'm sure that degree will help me down the road.

Hope everyone here is doing well...especially those who've been looking for gainful employment!

19. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2015

I wondered how things were going for you. Glad to hear you are having success!