might've made a mistake???

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissFroggy, Mar 8, 2008.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 8, 2008

I teach a video production elective class, and one of the students in the class asked to use my classroom stereo (a boom box) as a prop. I said yes, but very clearly stated that they must be careful with it because I use it daily and it's the only one I have! During filming, a boy was carrying it and (goofing off) he fell and tripped, sending it flying through the air... crash! The tape player part immediately broke (the eject button came off and so did the little door thing) but I couldn't tell if there was damage to the rest of it. During the rest of the class, he was very off task (he usually is- and I know this as he was a student in my regular class last year.) He didn't follow my directions and was being very silly.

Yesterday I went to use my stereo in the morning and realized that the CD player was also broken. I use it daily as I play relaxing music in the morning, and a peppy song during clean up in the afternoon.

Anyway, I talked to his teacher who said I should not ask him to pay for it, and should contact the business office for a replacement... then another teacher said I should have him write a note to his parents explaining what happened. I took the second teachers advice since 1) I wanted him to own up to the fact that he was not being responsible 2) I know it is not a big problem for the family to pay for it 3) I wouldn't get a replacement for months from the school, and 4) I used the example that if I wasn't looking when I was driving, even if it was an accident I would have to pay for damages to another person's car if I hit it.

I had him write a note, and even talked to his mother. She seemed very good about it, and they even came to examine the stereo so they could make sure to get something similar.

HOWEVER, suddenly I am feeling bad about this, like maybe I made the wrong choice.

3. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2008

If they are willing to pay for his mistake, then let them. I would only be concerned if it was school property. In that case you might have needed to follow a different procedure. But if you bought it then you should get reimbursed.

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 8, 2008

No it was school property.... I forgot to mention that. It came with my classroom. However, my guess is that if it broke while I was "in charge" of it, I still would have to replace it or go without.

Also, it was one of those school media players that is beige and has lots of earphone slots for a listening center. I'm sure the new one won't have that.

It was something similar to this:

[​IMG]

I know it won't be the same. I am a little worried about the whole situation and that maybe I handled it wrong. I wonder if I should talk to my admin about this, or just let it slide since the family is willing to replace it.

5. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Mar 8, 2008

it probably wouldn't hurt to run it by admin just in case there is a procedure you didn't follow. that way you are covered in case they say...drop it off in the office for you.

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 8, 2008

I think you did the right thing. The student in question needs to learn how to take responisbility for fixing (or at least owning up to) a problem he created. Personal responsibility is something kids seem not to learn about these days.

7. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Mar 8, 2008

I think you did the right thing. The student broke it, the student should own up to the consequences no matter whether the boom box was yours or the schools.
    If it was the school's, the student could face more consequences if you check their procedure. The student may be lucky it was just you that handled it. Run it by admin and find out.
    On a side note...what brand is that listening center you have? Do you remember how much it cost? I really like it and would like to get something like it for my classroom.

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 8, 2008

When the end of the year comes, you'll be glad you had it replaced...especially when you find out they are going to make YOU replace it if the student hadn't!

Students need to learn responsibility for their actions. It makes them better people.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 8, 2008

I think he (and his family) should have to replace it, but they should replace it with the proper one. Maybe you should find it, give them options so they can see the price, and then order it for them.

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 8, 2008

I'm not sure where it came from exactly, but it looks like the one in the picture, but maybe a slightly older model. The picture was from Lakeshore. I'm guessing it's from Lakeshore b/c the school has an account with them for most supplies.

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2008

I tend to disagree with making the family replace it. I don't think it matters whether the boy was goofing off while using it. He was using it for a prop in an assignment. You gave him permission to use it knowing the risk involved. I think the school (or you)is ultimately responsible for replacing the boom box, not the student. I don't see any problem letting the parents know what happened though. If they OFFERED to replace, then that is one thing; but I certainly wouldn't ask them nor expect them to.
    Using the scenario about hitting another person's car if you weren't looking: If you allowed someone to drive your car and they get into a wreck, the accident is on you. You are responsible for who drives your car. Be careful who you give your keys to and your stereo.

12. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Mar 8, 2008

I'm curious, if you as the teacher had broken it, and you had admitted that it was negligence, just as the child had been goofing off (say, you had it sitting precariously on top of a pile of papers, or left it outside where it had goten stolen) would you be responsible to replace it? or would the school be willing to replace it since it was their property?

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 9, 2008

While I agree students should learn to pay for their consequences, I have to agree with this one. There isn't anything you can do about it now though and it seems to have worked out favorably.

I don't know whether all schools pay for breakage regardless of who originally bought it (teacher or school) or not. If not, I would have assumed I would have to eat the cost. :2cents:

Good Luck. In all, I'm glad it is working out. :)

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 9, 2008

LMBO! I asked my husband this question (without telling him who paid for the item originally). He isn't in the field of education at all so this was just his uninformed parent response. His only question was "Who bought it?"

Ironically he replied he would if it belonged to the teacher and he wouldn't if it belonged to the school.

I don't know the true answer. Keep in mind Kinderkids and I work with little kids. Little kids break stuff more easily. Hence we don't let them use the $50 boston pencil sharpener we bought. :lol:

15. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 9, 2008

I still think he should pay for it. If he accidentally ripped the cover off of a text book, or didn't return a library book he would pay for that. With little ones I would probably be more lenient. This kid is in high school, right?

16. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 9, 2008

He's a 5th grader. I still think he needs to learn responsibility. He had major issues with this in my class last year. Anyway, it's too late now. He already wrote his mother the letter and already said he would get a new one. While he may be a "little one" compared to a HS student, at our school he's at the top of the pack. So, what's done is done.

17. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 9, 2008

I had a student break one of my chairs I used with a student with autism. It has one of those balls like the exercise balls and he stuck his pencil through it. I told them what happened and they offered to replace it. Unfortunately, they just didn't sell the ball seperately and the whole chair had to be replaced (over $100) so I decided to just use my personal exercise ball and not charge the parents. The only problem was when my student bounced too hard and him and the ball will bounce (fly) right out of the chair frame.

18. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Mar 9, 2008

I think that since he was goofing off and that ultimately led to it breaking, he should be held responsible. If he had broken it somehow through no fault of his own - something completely accidental, then that would be different. By 5th grade, this is a great learning opportunity for him about taking extra care when he is using things that don't belong to him.

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2008

I don't think you messed up. He was goofing off, which is why he and his parents should have been responsible for replacing it. In the event that they refused, then you could have submitted a replacement request to your school.

I really think you would have done the right thing in either course of action.

20. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 10, 2008

My kinder. daughter broke her teacher's pointer. It was at a center, and she was using it appropriately. She told me and I called around and found one very close to it at a teacher store about 20 miles away. I drove her there on the following day (a Saturday) and made her purchase her teacher a new one. She had to pay for $2 of it in pennies (that is why I went at 3:00 in the afternoon). I think it is important for her to learn early that if she breaks something she is responsible. I would rather her have to break into her piggy bank for a $5 pointer than into her savings for a car. Plus she was proud of herself for being able to do it. A lesson taught early and hopefully only once.:2cents:

21. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 10, 2008

I'd still be after my friend/brother/whoever to reimburse me for the cost of the repairs. I may loan my things, but I expect them to be cared for and returned in the same condition as when they were loaned.

22. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Mar 10, 2008

This is a tricky one. I think that, if a kid is being foolish, they should at least contribute towards the cost of replacement or repair (as appears to be the case here). But if they're acting appropriately and something breaks by accident, I wouldn't ask for replacement. Stuff happens! If it's always on the kids' family to replace items, then my kids are not to be let anywhere near digital cameras, video cameras, computers, interactive whiteboards - just give them paper and a pencil!

23. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Mar 10, 2008

I would have discussed this with the principal first. But, it's after the fact now so I would just keep the principal informed about what happened. That way, the principal will be aware of what is going on in case the parents do contact him or her.

24. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 10, 2008

I agree that the kid should contribute to the consequence. The question was whether the parent should have to.

25. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Mar 10, 2008

The parent shouldn't have to. They should come up with a way to have thier kid earn the money themselves. Use a Love and Logic tactic. The kid can pay the parent in toys if they don't have the money.
    The question is, will the parents use this tactic?