Might be getting a student teacher

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bella2010, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Mar 25, 2013

My P comes to me today and asks me about this. I really don't know. My partner teacher really wants to, but I'm not so sure. I'd feel really bad if I said no because I can tell how badly she wants to do this. I come on here a lot to gripe and say I'm ready to throw in the towel. I come here for advice all the time. I don't really feel like I know what I'm doing enough to take someone under my wing. She'd be with me for six weeks, and then she'd go to my partner teacher for six weeks.

IDK :(

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 25, 2013

I kinda know how you feel. This year my principal committed us to having three sped student teachers next fall. There are only four of us total.... One teacher doesn't have enough years of experience to meet the requirements to have a student teacher, and I only meet it by thread. I'll have the exact number of years required next year. I don't feel like I know what I'm doing in my position well enough myself yet. I'm definitely not ready to take on a student teacher.

I told my immediate supervising admin that I'm not sure I'm the best person to have a student teacher, and she just shrugged her shoulders. So, I'm not sure what will happen. I say, if you're not comfortable with it, say something. Maybe your principal can send the student teacher to another teacher for the other six weeks instead of you? Then your partner can still have the student teacher for her six weeks. Is that a possibility?

I don't think it's fair for you or the student teacher to be placed together if you're not committed to it. And, I think it's okay to not be committed to it.

4. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Mar 25, 2013

I can relate. My P came to me in Feb. to "feel out" our interest in student teachers as a grade-level team. Seems he bit off more than he could chew and said he had spots for 6 student teachers before asking any of his staff.

As a grade-level we said that we had many other issues going on (3rd grade guarantee, reading plans, state-wide testing, etc.) and I thought we made valid points. The last week of February we were sent an email from the college giving us the names of our student teachers.

Like you, I felt less than confident and capable at the time (and I still do). I also was worried that my crummy mood might show through. However, I'm almost 1 month down (of 6 weeks) and I'm happy to have her. It's nice to share your passion with someone else and also impart a bit of the 'real-world' aspects as well. I was a student teacher 5 years ago so I remember thinking, "I wish someone would have told me that" when I began my career.

I was worried I'd be judged constantly but that simply hasn't been the case.

I know you're in a tough position, especially when your co-teacher is so enthusiastic. If you share any of the same reservations I had, try not to stress. Look at this as an opportunity to meet incoming teachers and share your passion for the profession.

5. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Mar 25, 2013

I didn't feel ready the first time my principal asked me, but I don't regret that I took on a student teacher. I will likely have another last fall. With every student teacher that I take on, I feel that I also learn from the experience - whether it is a gain of some new ideas for the classroom or just an understanding of how far I have come as a teacher. While I understand your concern, I would tell you to enjoy the ride and share your joy for what you do!

6. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Mar 25, 2013

Not your fault. The first query proposed by a principal should be "Who would like to volunteer to be trained to become a cooperating teacher?"

Most schools do not have a professional, sophisticated method for determining which teachers should be candidates to mentor student teachers. Often, the only qualification is to raise your hand at a faculty meeting. Years on the job should not be the deciding factor. A student teacher should be working with the person best suited to disseminate effective teaching practices. Some veteran teachers are not good candidates as the many horror stories on this forum will attest.

7. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Mar 25, 2013

As a student who will be student teaching next spring, I agree with what the others here have said: Say something! lol I, personally, am very forgiving and patient and attentive, ESPECIALLY when I'm in a classroom under a teacher. I'm still learning and I understand and accept that. BUT if you're not ready, you're not ready. I'd want to be assigned to be with someone who is excited and ready to have me than someone who is unsure. Their uncertainty will translate into me being uncertain of my own abilities regardless of anyone's capabilities. ... I hope that made any sense at all. :)

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2013

If uour P is asking you, then he or she must have enough confidence in you. I do understand your feelings though because Inhad a ST my first year at the last school I was at. I was still learning all about the school myself. However, I have had 2 STs and both wre great experiences for me.

9. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Mar 26, 2013

Thanks for all the advice! I greatly appreciate you all.

I've been thinking really hard about it, and I'm about 80% sure I'm going to do it. While I had a great ST experience, it was with a master teacher who had taught 25+ years. Sometimes I think it would have been nice to be with someone like me who is in far enough to kind of know what I'm doing but who still struggles from time to time with balancing family and school obligations, meeting everyone's demands, paperwork, etc.

The girl's husband works with mine. I've never met her. She's already got one kiddo and another on the way and will have a 45 minute commute. The poor girl has her hands full, and it might be better for her if she has something in common with me? I'm kind of getting excited about it. If I don't talk myself out of it before I tell my P yes in the morning, lol.

Thanks again!

Beth

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2013

In addition, it's nice to see what new ideas these practicing teachers have. I felt I learned something from each one of them. It's also a nice feeling to be so actively part of another's experience in becoming a teacher. At least I enjoyed that aspect.

11. hatima

hatima Devotee

Mar 27, 2013

I'd talk to your principal again. I don't think you should take on a student teacher if you do not want one, or are not comfortable with taking on one. My undergrad cooperating teacher didn't want one, let alone the two she got stuck with. I did complete the teaching, but did not learn much.

I am student teaching again, in a different program. I am working with a teacher who is receptive to having a student teacher. I've learned so much from her.

Both my CTs had the same amount of experience.

12. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Mar 27, 2013

I've decided to go for it. I talked to my P again and weighed the pros and cons. I'm really excited about it. :)

Beth

13. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Mar 27, 2013

Good! I hope it goes well for all involved and good luck!!

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2013

I loved having a student teacher!

The only problems I've ever had with it are arranging for the college to come out and do observations - we schedule, ST plans an awesome lesson, professor cancels. The poor girl with me now, doing a practicum, has rescheduled lessons about 6 times.

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2013

How exciting! Good luck and I hope you keep us updated.

16. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

Apr 23, 2013

My co-op says the same thing :D It's nice sharing fresh, new ideas with her. It's a fun experience.