Midwest Earthquake

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by cMcD, Apr 18, 2008.

1. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 18, 2008

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 18, 2008

We felt it in Atlanta!!

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 18, 2008

Yeah we felt it - and that's why I left California. :)

5. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Apr 18, 2008

We didn't need an alarm clock to wake us up this morning.

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2008

It was felt in GreenBay according to the weather man. I didn't feel a thing.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2008

Apparently it was felt in the Greater Toronto Area as well. I was up, but didn't feel anything.

8. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 18, 2008

I didn't feel it...I'm in NW IL. But my sister felt it in the far south suburbs of Chicago.

9. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 18, 2008

I'm surprised it didn't wake me up. Our bed moves very easily because our bedroom has hardwood floors.

10. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2008

Hubbie felt it at work, came home at 6 and said he felt funny just before he came home. He told me "you would have thought he was having a heart attack the way his body was fluttering", he laughed when he found out what it was. I did not feel it, I slept right through.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 18, 2008

12. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Apr 18, 2008

Wow, you really left California because of earthquakes? I mean, we don't really have THAT many that are too big. But I can definitely understand because I wouldn't want to move to a place that had tornadoes! Eeek. :eek:

13. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 18, 2008

Let's see Whitter twice- Northridge, and can happen any time, place and NO real safe place :eek:

Tornadoes - weather man tells me a tornado is coming and I sit in my very safe basement until it is over. No aftershocks, no foreshocks for a bigger quake - When it's over, it's over :)

I have lived in Indiana for about 13 years and had a few tornado scares but never a real tornado. I lived in CA for 10 years and can't even begin to count the number of earthquakes I experienced.

14. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Apr 18, 2008

Hmmm. I've lived here all my 25...almost 26 years...and I can really only remember 2 or 3 that were really big. But they only last for maybe a minute at most, that is a really long one though. Unless you're talking about those random 4's that people occasionally feel...then of course there are a lot more of those--but then again it's like 5 seconds.
    I know they are unpredictable, but I guess I just grew accustomed to them cuz I've lived here my whole life!

15. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 18, 2008

Yup, I felt it, and then around 11:30 I felt an aftershock!

16. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 18, 2008

OMG!!! Guess no one was hurt.

We have the New Madrid Fault around Memphis and they expect one in the next 100 years or sooner.

Hold on to your hats!!!

17. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Apr 18, 2008

This morning the news people said that the quake was felt in communities to the northwest of Columbus, OH. I live in suburb on the southeast side - and didn't feel anything.

18. MuckeyBusiness

MuckeyBusiness Companion

Apr 18, 2008

My roommates felt it at school in Northern indiana... i live in south west michigan and i was sleeping at that point but if we did get it up here i didn't feel it. I only live 45 minutes from where my roommates are in school

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 18, 2008

It woke me up. It was just enough to wake me up, yet I didn't quite know what had awakened me. There were odd noises, and I was moving a bit. Nothing too bad, just weird. DH slept through it.

This was the third earthquake that I remember in our area.

20. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2008

WHOA! Not here too!

Yeah, I felt it! I thougth, what the h*$$ !! Happened around 4am. First I heard my mirror on my dresser shaking. Then I felt my bed shaking, and the whole house. I'm thinking...am I having a nightmare? Am I still living in CA and nobody told me? :confused:

I jumped out of bed and ran straight for the closet, and stood under the doorframe. Remembering that is the safest place in the house. I started to grab my emergency bag from under my bed!

I was ready!

Thought I must have been dreaming...how weird is that? I'm more used to snow and tornados in April in Chicago!!!

You know we gotta keep our toes, because there's always an aftershock in a few days! they can be stronger than the actual quake! :crosseyed

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2008

ditto...I saw three... two too many! give me snow any time...That's what happens here in Chicago. You get a nice day, and then WHAM! You don't know what is going to come next! :eek: I don't care if winter lasts for six months...how many times are they going to keep saying that??? we know it is cold from october to april.... longest record of not having 70 degree temperature..oh please! must be longer than that!

22. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2008

and your emergency kits....I am such a worry wart...

aftershock coming 3-5 days!

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2008

Not the way I want to wake up! Tell me I was dreaming...I think I saw a few mountains when I was driving home. I thought I left CA!!!

24. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2008

tornadoes can skip your house, and toss your neighbor to a new zip code! earthquakes aren't so picky.

and they have aftershocks, so if the first one doesn't get you, the second one will!

besides..tornadoes only come in April, I think..maybe July once in awhile...

no special season for earthquakes! :unsure:

last but not least...you can see and smell a tornado!

everyone knows what is about to happen when it gets really warm, then cool, sideways rain, and the sky looks green!

but if you don't have a pet...who starts acting weird, you got no warning that your life is about to get shaken up!

25. Amers

Amers Cohort

Apr 19, 2008

I felt it! It woke me up. I could hear my glasses shaking in my kitchen cabinet and my bedroom TV was shaking. It was the strangest feeling to be sitting in bed and feel the shaking. You could hear it too....it sounded so weird. Personally, I thought it was pretty neat, but only because it wasn't strong enough to do any real damage where I'm located, and I've never experienced anything like it before.

Oh, and some people said that their pets starting acting weird right before....well, my geriatric dog slept though the whole thing. I guess I shouldn't count on her to warn me about stuff anymore!! :)

26. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2008

t-minus three days before aftershock...

I predict it will happen Tuesday

27. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2008

Yes, my bed shook me awake. Our planet is amazing...it leaves me in awe so often!

28. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 20, 2008

QUIT IT :D I am trying not to think about it :lol:

I am holding my breath until Tueday. Let's hope you aren't some kind of Notradamus (sp?) :haha:

29. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2008

I know, I know..INteach...I must be one of those people who looks for accidents before they happen...there is a name, can't think of it now...started over so many times, I'm surprised I actually have blinds and curtains and no newspaper on my windows!!!.....I think, always looking for something to go wrong..'cause it usually does with me! :(

I heard there has been about 30 aftershocks. Yesterday, it happened ..but it must have missed us this time...near Mt. Carmel..much further south..near IN border...

I just think this is a wake up call, literally...for all of us..and especially those of us with a junky closet and/or classroom! see Clean Classroom thread! My friends used to say nobody could tell if someone broke in and ransacked our homes! :p

glad nobody has been seriously hurt, to my knowledge...thank goodness.

30. desroche85

desroche85 New Member

Apr 21, 2008

I felt it here in St. Louis, MO-4:37 am! I was sound asleep and woke up to the walls shaking. It was crazy! I though the train de-railed and was coming at my house! (There is a train track at the end of our block!)

31. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2008

that is scary! good thing there aren't any trains running at that time of the day!