Midterm

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Soccer Dad, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Jan 22, 2009

I'm debating whether or not to give the essay topics ahead of time. Next week my ninth graders (honors world history) will take a practice AP exam: 70 mult. choice questions, 3 essays; 3 hrs 5 minutes.

I've review for the midterm the past week, but I'm debating giving them the change over time essay topic. The DBQ will remain unknown, as well as the compare and contrast essay.

I know it's really not that big of a deal, but the other teachers are giving them same midterm and I have spoken with them about telling my kids about the essay topics and 1 said they would tell their kids too, the other flat out said it's a bad idea.

3. ELA 11 12

ELA 11 12 Companion

Jan 22, 2009

Normally I would say give it in advance; however, this situation may not create cohesiveness in your department.

Be a team player or play your own game. Is there any reason you can't give your own DBQ?

I think you are familiar with this site: http://www.nysedregents.org/testing/socstre/regentglob.html

???

Use one of those....

Good luck!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2009

I hate the idea of letting the kids have the topic in advance.

What I do before a big exam is this: I let them generate a list of "Possible part II's."

Inevitably they come up with the major topics. But it's their brain power doing it, not me telling them how very specifically they can narrow their studying.

5. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 22, 2009

For each essay exam that I give I hand out a list of 5-6 possible essay questions. On the day of the exam I role a dice and thats the essay they get. DBQs are always random. Next year I may start the kids off by assigning the first few essays and DBQS as homework and then work my way into the in-class ones. Note this is for my APHUSH and I use a different exam than the other teacher.

My Freshman Western Civ Honors classes get the essay ahead of time and they can choose on the exam. Our midterm though is not a mock AP exam, so we don't do DBQs as of now. We will be adding them in next year. When I teach US I Honors (10th grade) I give them 3 or 4 essays and pick 1 on test day.

6. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Jan 23, 2009

Alice, I feel the same way and during each unit, I always say "This would make a good essay topic ::wink::wink::" but the change over time essays tend to be the most difficult.

Well, I think I'll just give a list of 5 possible choices. I really hate the idea of going against another teacher, but I hate the idea of sacrificing my own.