Middle to elementary?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Writer02, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Jul 2, 2008

I just went back to teaching last year after being home with my kids. There weren't any jobs at my kids' school last year, so I took a middle school position. Now, my kids are going to a new school that is opening this year. They currently have a 4th grade opening. I already was planning to return to middle school back to 6th for next year. But, I'm considering speaking to the principal about this 4th grade opening. I formerly taught in an elementary school, and there are pros and cons to teaching middle. I have 3 kids who will be at this new elem. school. Have any of you taught at a school where you kids attended before? Did you like it? What were the specific challenges?

3. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jul 2, 2008

I find that when a parent works @ the school that their child attends, the experience isn't authentic. The kids get special treatment and inflated grades. (From my experience of teaching a co-workers child)

4. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 2, 2008

I went from being an 8th grade teacher to a third grade teacher and have never looked back. It was the best decision for my sanity. Not everyone is made to teach every grade. Do what is best for you. But if you have already signed a contract at the middle school you will not be able to get out of it easily.

5. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Jul 3, 2008

I already signed a contract, so I would have to get principal's permission to transfer at this point. Teaching at the middle school level, I only have one subject to prepare and I already have the plans from last year to build on this year. It's probably easier for me to stay where I am. And, the point made about preferential treatment is a valid concern. I have also found that staff children are somehow "special." It's human nature, I guess, when you work with the parents to overlook some things the child does.

My DH and I agree that the kids will develop more independence without me there. I could save some childcare money, though. However, it could actually be stressful for me to try to get my work together at the end of each day with my own 3 little people in the classroom with me, distracting me, arguing, etc. And when other teachers come in to discusss other students, I can't have my kids listening to all of it. These are some of the issues I'm concerned about. It's always been my dream to be at the same school with them, but if I stay in middle, my kids won't be in elementary forever. In a few years, they'll be moving on, too. And when they're in middle school, they won't be "needing" a childcare provider but are still kind of young to be home alone.

I do miss the elementary classroom in many ways, but I think in middle school, some of the parent pressures are removed as parents tend to step back and leave kids on their own more at this level. That can make my job easier. I'm thinking I'll probably just stay put and enjoy a second year at the same job because it's always easier the second (and third, etc.) time around.