Middle schoole experiences

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by hp123, Dec 23, 2007.

1. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Dec 23, 2007

Hi!

I'm working on my 7-12 social Studies certification, and am hoping to teach SS in middle school. I'm wondering if people can share there experiences teachinga at this age, and any advice for new teachers!

Feliz Navidad!

3. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Dec 24, 2007

Middle school rules!

Hi!
    I've taught Engish and reading, grades 6-9, for 15 years. I can honestly say that I wouldn't teach anything but middle school, unless I was forced to. My heart is in 8th grade. They are witty, but often sarcastic. They are testing their independence, but are also eager to please. If you treat them with kindness, they will give you anything you ask of them.
    My advice? Be organized. Let the kids get to know you. Be firm, but fair. Be kind. Be willing to laugh at yourself. Don't be afraid to let the kids see you make mistakes.

4. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Dec 25, 2007

keep everything structured. use a variety of teaching methods. Cooperative learning and hands-on projects work very well.

5. Magilla

Magilla Rookie

Dec 27, 2007

Make sure that you enjoy this age level. Middle school students often have other things on their minds besides academics-so make sure you remember what it was like to be this age and enjoy them. They can give you a lot if you can give them some understanding and support. I often hear other MS teachers complaining endlessly about some very typical MS behaviors and they end up hating the kids. Not good for the teacher and definitely not good for the students.
    Good luck!
    Magilla

6. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Dec 27, 2007

hi! i'm a first year teacher in middle school and i teach 8th grade u.s. history...student teaching was a piece of cake compared to "real" teaching for me...i really miss my student teaching experience - i wish it never ended!
    you really have to enjoy this age level...before teaching i worked with little ones (ages 5 to 12), i worked with high schoolers, and i worked with middle schoolers just to see what age group i liked best and i definitely connected more to the middle schoolers. sure, they can be snots at times, but they're more fun than high schoolers (in my opinion) because they're still sort of at a "kid" age and nice (wanting your approval), but yet they're more "grown up" where you don't have to baby them (as much). if i were to teach high school, i think the only grade level i would want would be 11th grade. for some reason 10th graders get on their high horse just because they aren't freshmen anymore, 12th grade = senioritis.

7. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Dec 27, 2007

I subbed Middle School during college and actually enjoyed it a lot. 6th grade drove me crazy though, with the incessant tattling.

8. rlss

rlss Rookie

Jan 11, 2008

I teach 7th grade Science (5 classes, each with approx. 35 students - with full inclusion). You've got to be firm and consistent at all times and stay really organized. They're at a really fun age but also very hormonal and tempermental. It can sometimes be a challenge for me because of the class sizes and some behaviour problems (we're full inclusion and I don't get any teacher's aides for those children) but overall, it's a great experience. I'll think you'll enjoy teaching Middle School.

9. MrL

MrL Companion

Jan 12, 2008

Get Harry Wong's first day of school and his tape series "How to Be a Super-Successful Teacher." The attitudes and procedures I learned from him I use to succeed every day.

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 13, 2008

I teach 7th and 8th graders and I absolutely LOVE them. I moved to middle school after teacher community college for 5 years. What started as a favor to a friend turned into something I truely love. Sure they're brats, and sometimes just plain evil when it comes to attitueds, they're frequently unprepared for class (of course, I teach in a very poor school), but, like another poster said, remember what it was like to be 12 and have fun with them and they're worth every bit of PITA moments they can dish out.

11. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jan 18, 2008

I have taught middle schoolers. They're okay. But I prefer high school aged kids. Some of it also depends on the relationship you build with your students. If that piece is strong, they'll work for you, but don't expect it in every class.

12. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Jan 25, 2008

I teach grade 7 and 8, and I wouldn't want to trade them for the world. They are funny, respectful, chatty, bouncy, full of ideas, and positive that they can change the world. Like a previous poster said, treat them with kindness and they will do anything for you. You may have get stern with them (well, OK, you will have to, probably everyday), and you'll have to remind them not to blurt, and hang on their questions and comments until the end, and that if you are speaking they are listening.

It is not always roses, and for the first time some are beginning to realize that school is really hard and they will have to work to pass. And some will decide not to, and concentrate on friendships, but others will surprise everyone in the school with what they can do. One day everyone might be asleep on their chairs and the next it might be all you can do to get them to focus. Each day brings a new surprise, and when June comes you'll wonder where the time has gone and how they managed to grow 2 feet overnight.

Middle schoolers are the best . . . though I'm sure the grades 1 - 6 and 10 - 12 teachers might think differently. Isn't it nice that there is a special grade for each of us?

13. lupin43

lupin43 Companion

Jan 27, 2008

I LOVE middle schoolers. They are independent and dependent. They can learn on their own and still need lots of instructions. I just love the mix. My advice though is ROUTINES AND STRUCTURE. Sometimes my days are boring to me because of the routine, but there are days where it saves my sanity. Also my favorite and #1 rule is stay in a seat. If there is any down time (rarely is), they are allowed one seat change and then must remain seated. Only so much commotion can happen while sitting. If it's major, someone if not all of them stand up. This rule has prevented many fights and has brought my attention immediately to some.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2008

I agree with Lupin. Routine and structure are so important. If the kids know what to expect, then things will run more smoothly. Consistency is necessary for there to be success in the classroom.

15. xyz

xyz New Member

Jan 28, 2008

This is my first year of teaching and I am so frustrted mainly because of classroom discipline. I was thinking the students are getting under control but suddenly they just DO NOT want to sit in their places and KEEPS TALKING continously. I teach 8th grade science and I cannot deal with talking at all. Any suggestions or comments as how do I deal with discipline. ( my evaluations are going to come pretty soon )

Thanks,
    xyz.

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2008

Do you give out detention? Students value their lunch time, so if you threaten them with a lunch detention, that will usually get them to straighten up.

17. ctmem

ctmem Rookie

Jan 30, 2008

Student engagement is KEY! You cannot expect the students to learn without moving around, working with others, or developing relationships.

You cannot expect achievement without high expectations.

You must reinforce and praise positive behaviors more than you criticize or punish.

-Ctmem
    teachersoffaith.com