Middle School Vocabulary

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by MS PLC Member, Oct 14, 2009.

1. MS PLC Member

MS PLC Member New Member

Oct 14, 2009

Our Middle School PLC committee is grappling with finding the right list for a middle school-wide vocabulary list. We are also trying to find an effective way to evaluate the effectiveness of classroom strategies to teach these vocabulary words.
    We are a school with 98% ELL students.
    Any help would be appreciated.

3. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Oct 19, 2009

I think that in middle school, instead of having a middle school vocabulary list, students should learn how to check for their own understanding and determine meaning in context. Depending on their class the vocabulary can be quite different, but the strategies can always be applied. Honestly, as a reader, I rarely stop and pick up a dictionary to determine the definition of an unknown word. That would slow down my reading and my comprehension of the word because then I would have to go back and read the sentence again to figure out which definition works in that sentence. Then go back and reread to recall where I was in the text.
    However, I have seen vocabulary lists done in middle school based on crucial content vocabulary. It might give you a place to start.