Middle School to Early Ed?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kstar03, Oct 16, 2012.

1. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Oct 16, 2012

Hi everyone,

Anyone consider or successfully go from one area of education to another? I got this idea in my head a little while ago, but don't know how possible it is. Is it possible to go from teaching middle school to teaching early ed (Pre-K or K)?

3. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Oct 16, 2012

I went the opposite way... early elementary (K-1) to middle school. It was/is an adjustment (this is my second year in middle school) but I think it was definitely manageable. I had never taught the older ones before and do enjoy them. As long as you think you would be okay with that age group I think you would be fine. For example, some people can't stand the tying shoes, wiping noses type of stuff that comes with the little guys.

I think I personally connect with younger kids better and want to move back down some day but for now I am happy living in the drama of middle school :)

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2012

I moved from 6th to K this year. It's a transition but many of the things I needed to teach my 6th graders are those same skills I'm teaching in K (how to share, get along with others, put your name on your paper).

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 16, 2012

I changed this year from 2nd/3rd to 6th. I am loving it, but mostly because I'm in SPED, I think. I'm not sure I would enjoy Gen Ed middle school. I really hate operating on a bell schedule. I like the freedom of being self-contained with one group. :) But it is possible!

There's a retirement in the K-4 building next year that I might investigate. I would not at all mind staying in my current position...but I'd consider going back down. I'd love 3rd or 4th.

6. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 16, 2012

Beware that early ed is not a great field to go into right now. A lot of these programs are being cut.

With that being said, I have taught high school, kindergarten, and now middle school. Granted, all classes were special ed self-contained, so even though the ages were different, unfortunately, there was not a lot of difference in functioning levels.

It can be done. Good luck.

7. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Oct 16, 2012

It absolutely can be done! I went from preschool to middle school - with a stop in 5th grade in between. I loved working with the younger children when I did that, and I love what I do now.

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 17, 2012

I went from 7th to 4th to 3rd. For me it was a good fit. I am now in 5th. I subbed all the K-8 grades, so I had a little idea what I was getting myself into.

I think that it definitely can be done. You might want to see if you can observe a K class to get a better idea if that is the place for you. Good luck!