Middle School Teachers!!!

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by hp123, Feb 14, 2010.

1. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Feb 14, 2010

If you teach middle school.....POST HERE. Let's get a support center going!!!

3. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff Rookie

Feb 15, 2010

Hey, I am a 7th grade social studies teacher. this is my second year and i absolutely love it. i thought i wanted to do high school but i got the job here and i wouldnt change it for the world. well, nice to meet you. what do you teach?

4. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Mar 7, 2010

I teach 6th, 7th, and 8th grade gifted math. This is my 5th year teaching is this by far has been the best year! Love it.

By the way, I tried high school for a short period and I didn't like it at all. Middle School is my perfect fit.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 7, 2010

I'm in my 17th year, so I don't really feel like I need much support . . . but maybe I can offer some.

6. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Mar 7, 2010

Writing

I really want my students to do alot of reading and writing in my classroom. Not all formal papers, but reading things, and commenting on them.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 7, 2010

For years we have integrated reading, writing, and grammar instruction into one class. It's by far the best way to get students to "get" what they are doing. We writing genres that we read, and they learn grammar from the readings and their own writings.

8. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Mar 7, 2010

6th grade World Cultures and Geography here.

9. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Mar 9, 2010

7th grade math. Urban Public School. Getting killed. No respect from kids. Poor Classroom management. Uninteresting lessons. Plummeting standardized test scores.
    Am I playing a familiar tune?

:dizzy:

10. glen

glen Companion

Mar 10, 2010

Small private school, jack of all trades for 7 and 8th grade for the past three years ( 2 science classes, Algebra, pre-Algebra, one history, one lit). We are reorganizing next year. I'll teach science grades 5-8, one grade 4 science lab, two math classes, and a literature. We don't have nearly the problems some other schools have, but, instead, we have to wear many hats each day!

11. shelceygirl

shelceygirl Rookie

Mar 22, 2010

Rural-turned-suburbs 7/8 middle school in the Pacific Northwest. I teach 7th grade writing, honors writing, and creative writing. I'm in my 20th year and I love my job. Teaching middle school is like breathing. I can't imagine doing anything else.

12. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Mar 31, 2010

7th grade ELA.... Looking to switch up to 8th grade so I can challenge them a bit more content-wise but still in the middle school state of mind. Never thought in a million years I would love being a middle school teacher but I'm loving every minute of it!

13. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 1, 2010

7th grade LA in a fantastic school, 4th year teaching. Love my job, coworkers, and students... most of time. Am getting really tired of telling them eleventy hundred times a day to spit out their gum. Also pressing: how to let them use dry erase markers without them stealing them.

And when did walking in a straight line become a lost art form? Does it come with the hormones?

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 1, 2010

This works with any "steal-able" item, not just markers. Every child in every class is assigned a number. Everything that is "mine" that the kids use is numbered as well. When we're ready to use it, I pass them out. At the end of the period, I take them up. If your number isn't there, we don't go anywhere until it returns.

Works great!

15. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Apr 1, 2010

IMO, the gum and straight line are not worth the battle. I tell them that if they have gum in my class, I don't want to see it or hear it or find it. If they can respect that we'll be fine. I don't have issues with that. Straight line....meh...keep one side of the hallway clear, move when someone is trying to get by and don't be loud in the halls. So far so good. My big issue is getting them to follow through with things, go the extra mile in their work and think critically without waiting for everything to be spelled out. I really want them to become independent thinkers and we have a long way to go. By the way, I'm grade 8 Math, Science and Phys Ed with some Grade 7 Math.

16. shelceygirl

shelceygirl Rookie

Apr 10, 2010

Meh, save your guns for a bigger fight and all that. Part of spending more time with middle school kids is learning what to let go and what to make a big deal about. Gum and lines are pretty low on my list. Respect for others, working hard, and meeting deadlines for work are where I want to put my energy.

17. Coach

Coach Rookie

Apr 15, 2010

6/7/8 grade PE and I coach football, basketball, track & field, as well as "other assigned duties" from the head coaches of the high school teams we feed into.

I love my job more every day.

18. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2010

Aww, you guys are awesome :hugs: But the gum and lines are big deals at school. I'll wrangle 'em somehow.

19. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Apr 17, 2010

At the school that I student teach, teachers use a gum sheet after the 2nd or 3rd offense in which the kids have to copy. The gum sheet is a 3-column full page sheet about the ingredients of gum and how it is made. Usually after writing it 2 or 3 times, the students are more hesitant to chew gum. :D

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 17, 2010

I refuse to be the gum police. I also won't use any kind of reading or writing as a punishment. It's hard enough to get some kids to read and write with out having them see it as a punishment.

As far as lines go, "relatively straight" works just fine. I'm more concerned with them leaving each other alone and being quiet than being in a perfectly straight line. In my large classes, we walk in a double row. I can keep an eye on them better that way.

21. SueCasa

SueCasa Rookie

Apr 25, 2010

8th Grade Language Arts

I'm in my 4th year of teaching Language Arts to 8th graders in a program improvement, low income school in Southern California. This is my 2nd year of also teaching Journalism to 7th and 8th graders.

I gave up the gum battle about 4 months ago and we all got along. However, I had to lower the boom this past week as someone was putting chewed gum on a classmates' new jacket. It was also found on desks in the area. I'm back policing gum and anyone caught chewing will get a phone call home and detention. Putting gum anywhere besides your mouth and the trash can is considered vandalism. Thought I could trust them, but a few proved I can't so the whole class suffers. Off my soapbox now...:haha:

We've got testing the next two weeks so we're trying to teach but not overwhelm/burnout the kids.

22. torr5962

torr5962 New Member

May 16, 2010

I am finishing my degree from Rutgers in social studies after graduating from Temple with a Bachelor's in Business a few years ago (hated it). I always wanted to teach social studies and sociology at high school level, but I am now leaning toward middle school. What makes you love teaching 7th grade social studies? I'd love to hear about the lesson plans your students responded to the most.

Thanks!

23. torr5962

torr5962 New Member

May 16, 2010

They sounds fun. What percentage of the class is spent in Latin America and the Carribean? Just curious.

24. teach4eva

teach4eva New Member

May 22, 2010

I teach 7th grade Social Studies and am finishing my 8th year. I have worn many hats over these years, including department head, school-council member, Athletic director, basketball coach, and serve on many committees. I love my career and would not change the path I have chosen.

25. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

May 23, 2010

It's hard to put into words but there is just something very appeaing about teaching middle school. Three years ago I was hired for my current job teaching resource in middle school. I was thrilled but other people including teachers thought I was crazy! Before that I had worked with both high school and middle school and I liked middle school so much better. Yes, the kids can be so immature but then they turn around and show you a total different side! It is wonderful. The main thing to remember about middle school is the respect you have for them and the respect you expect from them. I find that is the key.

26. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

May 26, 2010

Finishing my 17th year, I teach 8th grade science and social studies. I am Whole Brain Teacher, and love the job.

Middle School teachers teach kids at one of the most difficult ages. We are the A-Team of teachers, bu-yah!

27. shelceygirl

shelceygirl Rookie

Jun 5, 2010

You know, there a many amazing teachers in our nation's middle schools, yet how often do you see them recognized? A speaker I heard once introduced herself by saying she taught high school for 30 years and middle school for one. She calls her time in middle school, "The year I REALLY learned how to teach." My husband is a high school administrator and when hiring, he's always more willing to interview people who have taught middle school because they totally understand classroom management AND instruction.

We ought to organize, I tell you...

28. PaperbackWriter

PaperbackWriter Rookie

Jun 16, 2010

2nd year 7th grade history teacher. Moving up to 8th grade next year and really excited about that! First year teaching at public school was not so good. No support from staff/admin led to a disappointing first year.

This is my first year at a charter and I feel like a completely different teacher. Tons of support from everyone on campus and consistent professional development :)

29. outsidethelines

outsidethelines Companion

Jun 16, 2010

I teach 7th and 8th grade science, and I absolutely love it! My job is both intellectually and creatively stimulating, and my kids make me a better person.

30. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jun 16, 2010

I am going to be relying on you all a LOT this summer! I have been reassigned to teach 8th grade Language Arts next year and I'm overwhelmed and freaked out! I spent 4 years subbing in middle school and didn't really like it. But, I'm grateful I'll still have a job, and I want to make the most of this change, so I'm working at looking at the bright side. On that note, what advice would you have for someone who has no middle school experience beyond subbing...and for those of you who teach Language, is anyone willing to share their best ideas? I really have no idea where to start!

31. luvsocr33

luvsocr33 Rookie

Jun 16, 2010

Been in middle school for 12 years and love it

5 math classes here (6th, 7th, prealgebra and algebra) and 8th grade literature

32. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jun 16, 2010

This will be my first year. I will be teaching 6th grade science.

33. New2JrHigh

New2JrHigh New Member

Jun 17, 2010

Just finished teaching 3rd grade sort of self-contained....I taught everything except social studies. The other 3rd grade teacher and I switched for science and social studies. So, now they're moving me to a 7th/8th grade social studies homeroom split. What I think is that I'll be teaching reading to my 7th/8th graders and social studies to all the 7th and 8th graders. I think. The principal wasn't at school today when we got the new organization schedule. I guess she didn't want to deal with questions or complaints.

I'm hoping someone can give me advice. I work for CPS in a not-so-hot area. Fortunately I know many of the 8th graders because I taugth them in when they were in 4th grade when I taught 3rd/4th grade science. We're a feeder school and have some 7th & 8th graders coming from a rougher school. I guess I need a little advice on classroom management (OK, maybe a LOT), and any other advice that can be offered will definitely be welcomed!!

Thanks everyone!

34. tracyj

tracyj New Member

Jun 19, 2010

Scooter 503,
    I teach 7th/8th grade language arts. I think the best way to go about teaching language arts is to choose the readings you'd like to use this year (novels, short stories, etc.). I think the easiest way to plan a unit is around a genre - a poetry unit, a mystery unit, etc.

Make sure to incorporate grammar instruction with writing, and teach explicit reading strategies that students will need to know for state standardized testing.

That's what I recommend! Hope this is helpful - if you'd like to chat more, let me know!

35. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2010

6th grade science is my little world. I love that they are still children but not really and boy, do some of them change by the end of the year!

36. smalldog1

smalldog1 New Member

Jun 21, 2010

After 20 years at the same middle school I was told I will have to float AND teach pre -ap English next year. Of course, this news came on the very last day. Help!

37. mrsnikki

mrsnikki Companion

Jun 22, 2010

I teach 8th grade science in KY and last year was my first year! I loved it and good luck :) BE consistent but dont forget to build relationships with your kids thats what I learned. Without those relationships I don't think I would have had such a successful year:):) :)

38. Iheartmath

Iheartmath Rookie

Jun 22, 2010

Hello, I never really introduced myself to the board. I teach 8th grade math. I will be starting my 11th year of teaching next year. This past school year was a challenge for me, because I got back into a teaching career in a new district after staying home for 7 years with my children. It's a whole new ball game when you have your own children to come home to! But overall it was a successful year back in the classroom...I felt very fortunate to have found a job after being out for those years!

I look forward to reading posts here and getting support from here, especially as a working mom.

39. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jun 24, 2010

Thanks for the info. I'll probably have a lot more questions as the school year gets closer.
    My school teaches reading and language arts as separate classes, so I can't really plan around a unit. I do know that there are at least 4 major writing projects I will be required to teach (and I believe 4 smaller projects).

40. LMT

LMT Rookie

Jun 26, 2010

I'm moving from 5th grade up to 7th and 8th grade science! I "think" I am VERY excited :unsure: lol

I do enjoy the middle school age group, but then again I haven't spent all day every day teaching them...not sure what to expect!

I have lots of questions and will read through posts to hopefully find the answers.

My biggest question right now is how to start the year off so they don't end up walking all over me all year. I don't want to start off too babyish coming from elementary, ya know!

Looking forward to joining you all! :)

41. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 27, 2010

8th grade LA here.

Love the age. I tell people the kids are at the point where they are really becoming aware of the world around them but are still kids and want to have fun. You can be sarcastic and they get it. They are goofy and serious and needy and "all that" all rolled up together. It is a challenge and fun at the same time.