Middle school teachers--how much did you get payed when you started teaching

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by esa00, Aug 20, 2010.

1. esa00

esa00 Rookie

Aug 20, 2010

So i've decided that this science degree will suit me:

Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies
    4th Grade – 8th Grade
    Science Teacher Certification and
    ESL Supplemental Teacher Certification

I am fluent in Arabic and plan to minor in it but i don't see how that can come in handy.:confused:

Anyways it seems the only job i'll probably get(hopefully) is a middle school science teacher. How much did you get paid when you were first hired. I live in TX but i'm interested in all states.

also high school teachers get paid more?

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2010

It varies greatly by state and even district..All teachers get paid the same no matter what subject/grade they are teaching...it just depends on years of experience and college credits

4. esa00

esa00 Rookie

Aug 20, 2010

well i will have no experience apart from my student teaching requirement. What do you mean amount of college credits?

5. DallasLady

DallasLady Rookie

Aug 20, 2010

In Texas you will get paid by your years of experience and degree level (bachelors, masters, doctorate). As a new teacher, you are a "0" which means you make the base salary. Subject does not matter, a 12th grade science teacher makes the same as a kindergarten teacher if they have the same years experience and education. You can get stipends that are added to your base salary for being spanish bilingual (they aren't going to pay you extra for Arabic), for coaching and sometimes for teaching math or science (if it's in a high-needs district).

That said, here in DFW, most districts are starting new teachers around $45,000.

6. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Aug 21, 2010

Under the new guidelines (if I understand correctly) you will oy be eligible to teach 7/8 grade unless you take the Generalist exam. Not sure how that would work if the 6th grade was at a middle school. The person we hired for 6th had ESL, Science, and Generalist - all 4-8. DISD gives a $2500 stipend for middle/high school science.

7. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Aug 21, 2010

I got paid about $45,000 when I first started:

BA in Sociology, minor in Education
    CA Single Subject Credential in Social Science

After my BA, I have over 50 units/credits which had put me at the $45k during my first year. These units/credits came from all my credential courses. In the recent past, I've heard of some districts giving an extra signing bonus to new hires teaching math or science. Amount varied by district, but with all the budget shortfalls, not sure if districts are still doing that.

8. sequence

sequence Rookie

Aug 23, 2010

When I started five years ago, I was paid a grand total of about 22,000.00 a year :D. Seemed like a fortune back then... Now, I couldn't survive very well...

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 23, 2010

Here there is no difference in salaries from elementary to middle to high school. The pay is based only on years of experience and education level.

My starting pay wouldn't be useful. Pay varies widely by district, and I've been teaching 18 years anyway.