Middle School Teacher in CA thinking of resigning

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by cserdio117, Nov 4, 2021.

1. cserdio117

cserdio117 New Member

Nov 4, 2021

I'm a 7th grade middle school teacher in California and this year has been downright horrible. I have classes that are crazy and don't listen to me. Our school hardly has consequences for bad behavior. I think I may need to see counseling or other mental health experts because a lot of days I simply don't believe that I can do this job. This is my 3rd year and I'm not getting any better at teaching or class management. I'm considering leaving after Christmas break and the prospect of not being able to teach again might be something I can live with. I'm considering getting my MBA, looking for other jobs or looking for whatever type of work. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2021

I think it is smart to have a back up degree like an MBA. It gives you more options. Our school lost almost all consequences including natural ones. It made it so much harder to teach, so you have my sympathy!
    A good counselor might be able to help you figure out what is best for you. Have you asked for help or been in trainings for classroom management? There are some tricks of the trade that could help too.
    Once you weigh out finances, options, and your health, you need to do what is best for you. Best Wishes! I know how hard it can be at times.

mrsf70 and cserdio117 like this.
  4. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Nov 6, 2021

“On teaching:...the job seems to require the sort of skills one would need to pilot a bus full of live chickens backwards, with no brakes, down a rocky road through the Andes while simultaneously providing colorful and informative commentary on the scenery.” - Franklin Habit

Basic law of job satisfaction says we return to those things we are good at and avoid those things that make us feel inadequate. It doesn’t make much sense to have a job where one counts the days until Friday then wishes Monday will never come. Looks like you are being honest with yourself which is a plus and have been teaching long enough to give it a chance. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.