Middle School Syllabus

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Georgia"Teach", Jul 19, 2007.

1. Georgia"Teach"

Georgia"Teach" Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

There is a thread about what to include in a high school syllabus, but I am looking for my fellow middle school teachers! Does anyone use a syllabus at the middle school level? I think they are somewhat important, as they give students an idea of what to expect and it prepares them for high school/college, but I definitely don't want to overwhelm them. I would like to keep it to a page. Does anyone use a syllabus or have other suggestions?? Anyone willing to share their syllabus as a guide??

3. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 19, 2007

I put in mine what's on my algebra site -- it's linked through my name.

4. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 19, 2007

My syllabi are usually a combo of what was on Bitsy's FAQ page and general information page. I have used them with middle schoolers for over 15 years and I think it is a great way to outline proper policies.

5. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 19, 2007

I will be using a syllabus in each of my middle school classes - they'll have overall objectives for the course, a materials list, grading scale, some classroom rules, and information on how to succeed in class.

6. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Jul 19, 2007

I use a syllabus with pretty much the same info as discussed above. I also provide the web address for parents to look at the state standards, in case any are interested. I also include routine/standing assignments that students will be doing throughout the year, such as their notebooks. I always include absent/missing/late work policy and contact info is a biggie too. I think sometimes mine is a bit much for middle school, but parents will be looking for info at the beginning of the year so for me it is the best time to send home more info rather than waiting.

7. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 19, 2007

I do a short syllabus
    This year mine will include class goals, what they need to bring everyday, tardy policy, makeup work policy, tutoring times, conference hours, email, test information (how often), what to expect for homework, textbook expectations, a short bio about me, maybe a list of what the units are.

I haven't made it yet and want this year's policy to be about 1 page long like last years, so I will probably change it a bit.

8. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Jul 31, 2007

I found this and just thought I would share. It puts a nice twist on the usual boring syllabus by putting it in the form of a brochure. I like the idea of students keeping these in their binders or notebooks to remind them, especially beginning of the year.

http://teachers.net/wong/NOV06/oretha_procedures_brochure.pdf

9. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 31, 2007

I use a syllabus for my 8th grade. It works great because I have a website for homework etc. and the kids like it because they know what chapters I will be teaching them and the rules are also posted...

10. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

Syllabus

kyblue: I love the syllabus that you've shared. I might just have to steal that idea!

11. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

im going to use a syllabus, i dont know if i'll be able to keep it to one page....maybe front AND back? hahaha...

i'd make sure you add a last page, that the kids AND the parents sign and return to you, stating they read your rules/procedures and understand the consequences....that way you have it on record, should there be a problem during a conference

12. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Jul 31, 2007

I'm not sure if I want to do a signature page to be returned or not. I've done it every year so far, but I usually only got around 50% returned even giving rewards for bringing them back. Either the parents just won't sign it, don't care, or it never gets home to them. I'll probably end of doing it still because it does give me a little peace of mind to know I made the effort.

13. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Jul 31, 2007

I found the syllabus/brochure link on a Harry Wong site, I think. I don't want to overload studens or parents, but it might be hard to fit in all the info on just one sheet, even using the front and back.

14. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

Kyblue,

I think Alice and some other people do this....but you should make it a graded assignment to return it. If you emphasize it's easy and they'll earn points for it...to HELP their grade...maybe that would help?

just a suggestions

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2007

Oop, sorry. I don't.

Then again, as far as I know, last year was my one time teaching the middle school kids. (Our school is grades 6-12 and I've always taught the older kids before.)

16. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Aug 1, 2007

I think its important to get something signed. Most parents approach issues as a partner, but unfortunately, some like to play the "blame game". And shockingly :rolleyes: some students will lie to avoid trouble.

At those times it is lovely to pull out the signed paper with the rules/procedures/policies on it. :D There is usually not much more than a bit of sputtering after that.

I don't actually send out a "formal" syllabus. I put all my info in the front of my interactive notebooks and require the front page to be signed. I nag, hold detention, call, whatever needs to be done to make that happen. My notebook is such an important part of the student's learning that I want to be assured that the parent has at least held it in their hands once. :)

17. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Aug 1, 2007

That's a good point ancientcivteach...I'm doing the notebooks this year so that might be something I can try. Thanks!!