Middle School Specials - schedule

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cmw, Aug 17, 2011.

?

WHat is the schedule for your "specials" in middle school?

Poll closed Sep 16, 2011.
  1. Students take the class for 1 quarter.

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. Students take the class for 1 semester.

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. The schedule varies depending on the course.

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 17, 2011

I just received my teaching schedule for next year and am near panic about it. :eek: I kept waiting for it to be distributed and finally asked for it. I was waiting it out b-c I was concerned that it would be a tough one...and it is. I was hoping it wouldn't be sooo many changes at once. I now have a class right after I travel (time is an issue). I'm teaching a new grade level that appears to be a semester long (gen music is usually not a semester at my school). I'm back to back in different rooms in different parts of the building & technology will be an issue since you can only be logged into 1 computer at a time. It appears that they crammed students into some of my classes to make the schedule work.

My question is for any any middle school teachers. Do your specials classes run for a quarter or semester? I consider specials music, art, PE, computer, home ec/ work & family, etc...

3. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Aug 18, 2011

I teach Spanish, and it runs year-round.

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2011

Certain classes such as band and chorus run all year.

Other electives such as PE, art, speech, drama, etc run for one semester.

5. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 18, 2011

Well I received some clarification today regarding the scheduling. We do not have enough PE teachers so the 7th grade will NOT get PE. They needed somewhere to put them so myself & the other teacher will teach gen music for a semester to all 7th graders not in band/choir.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 18, 2011

We have 13 different specials! Each kid takes a long and a short special each day. The short ones are 30 minutes and switch every 4.5 weeks. The long one meets for 55 minutes, and it switches every 9 weeks.

7. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Aug 18, 2011

Our kids have every special either once or twice a week, for the whole year. There wasn't an option I could vote for, but I thought I'd weigh in anyway.

8. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Aug 19, 2011

It depends on the course. Band and computer run all year back-to-back (band students don't get the opportunity to take any technology classes, but the computer outcomes are also integrated within their core subjects). Other specialties - such as art, cooking, sewing, woodworking, ceramics, etc. is offered per term.

Sounds like you will very busy going from one end of the building to another. Is it possible you talk to your computer technician and ask if you can get special privileges to log on more then once? I know this can be done in our school - it is not the norm but if someone needs it "they" (the computer geniuses) can make it happen!

9. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 19, 2011

I will be emailing our tech guy about it. I'm glad to see it is possible and I will nicely work that into my email with him. Working with our tech dept is sometimes like talking to the wall. They are very busy & often seem overwhelmed. I sent in email when I started my summer program b-c I was having issues. I was told that they were only working on projects this summer & to check back closer to school starting. ;) I will be cc'ing my principal on my next emails so hopefully that will prompt things to get done.