Middle School Social Studies Praxis Help (0089)

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by summer, Aug 5, 2009.

1. summer

summer Rookie

Aug 5, 2009

Hi, I took the middle school social studies Praxis exam last month. I purchased the ETS study guide and studied every topic in the book and memorized this info fairly well. However, I felt that the test did not cover any of the material that it suggested to study! I am afraid I may have failed it, and if I did fail it then I have no idea how to start studying again for it because I feel like the study guide is irrelevant. I signed up for the September test just to be safe but this wouldn't give me much time for studying. Does anyone have any experience taking this test and can share any helpful study tips or know any topics that are common on this test? Thank you!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 5, 2009

Many people leave a test like this certain that they failed and then find they passed after all, so don't despair yet, summer.

Is your fear that you knew one set of details and the test was asking for a different set, or that you knew details and the test was asking you for something different?

4. summer

summer Rookie

Aug 5, 2009

I felt like I memorized the topics in the study book, such as major explorers, wars, Indian settlements, etc, and none of those topics were on the test! Also nothing I studied for world history was on the test. I studied all of these ancient civilizations like the guide said, and the test asked more questions about more modern times, such as the USSR and their leaders and relations of Europe to the Middle East...nothing I studied!

5. mrsnikki

mrsnikki Companion

Aug 5, 2009

I hate the ETS study guides! I think they are an awful representation of what is actually on the tests! Hopefully you did really well and passed! By the way the test tickets disappear online a week before the results arrive at your house if you have already registered. You will then be refunded your money :) I am crossing my fingers for you!

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 5, 2009

That's frustrating. But there's no such thing as a single source that covers all and only the information that a given test taker needs to know for any given teacher test.

The online Tests at a Glance materials - which are the gold standard for what can be tested in any of the versions of a given Praxis exam - do in fact mention modern times and the USSR, I'm afraid.

If you end up having to retake this exam, let me suggest getting hold of a good historical atlas - and it will be a fine resource for your future classroom, too.

7. reverie

reverie Companion

Aug 5, 2009

I actually ended up with an essay question and I knew the basic answer but had NO idea about any other details of the event. I literally wrote a one sentence response and thought I failed. I must have done well on the rest because I passed.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 5, 2009

reverie, that's where a certain... creativity?... is called for: one may not know specific details of the event, but if one knows what's being asked about, one can sometimes make connections from the event to the times in which it occurred - and that demonstrates to the scorers an ability to think historically and to deal with (at least part of) the Big Picture.

9. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 9, 2009

I am thinking of taking this online course maybe next year. It looks like it covers everything and I believe it was developed in conjunction with the ETS, the people who put together the Praxis.

It's only $50, and if you are Pennsylvania certified, you will be reimbursed that money if you complete the course by a certain date (I think they give you maybe four months to do it - it's a 60 hour course and we get professional development credit for it also).

http://www.pattan.net/files/Flyers08/1835-SocialStudies.pdf

More info on it (scroll down to about the fifth course listed):

http://www.pattan.net/profdev/trainingCalendar-browse.aspx?EventType=Online Course

10. lowes48

lowes48 Companion

Aug 9, 2009

I took the ss 0081 test recently and thought I didn't pass, but did. I used the ETS study guide, but I also used other notes I had and two high school text books. I also used some american history flashcards. U probably did pass, and just log onto ETS the week of your scores being posted and if your admission ticket disappears you have passed.

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 9, 2009

Does anyone know when the scores from the July test date are available to call and get them?

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 10, 2009

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 10, 2009

They have already taken down the information for that test date because it is considered "last year." I was just wondering if anyone had written it down or remembered.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 10, 2009

Have you tried Googling for "praxis score report 2009"? Chances are pretty good that the information is still on the Web site of some university's testing office.

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 10, 2009

That was a great tip! Scores will be available by phone on August 21, and online on August 25. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the $30 or however much it is to find out four days earlier.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 10, 2009

(purring with satisfaction)

There is a saying to the effect that youth and enthusiasm will always be trumped by age and treachery; one acquires a few knacks in the course of wandering around the block, you know? And I'm pleased to have my sneakiness put to good use.

As to whether getting results four days early would be worth $30: that varies from individual to individual, of course. What would you do differently if you knew on August 21?

17. mghammon

mghammon New Member

Aug 16, 2009

Which book should I buy to study for this? I am taking it in November... and the sample questions seem easy, are they representative of the test?

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 17, 2009

If memory serves, the Tests at a Glance documents tend to include disclaimers to the effect that the sample questions are suggestive of the types of questions in the actual test but that they are not necessarily representative of the difficulty or the content. With that said, it's generally a good sign when a prospective test taker finds the sample questions easy.

As to the book: there's no such thing as the one right book for everyone. Try visiting your local bookstore and spending some time with each of the books that's on offer - you may find that one or more stiff lattes are helpful - until you find the one that best suits YOUR needs and learning style (or at least disserves them the least). For social science, many people also benefit from a good historical atlas; unlike the usual run of test prep books, the atlas will also come in handy in your future classroom.

19. summer

summer Rookie

Aug 21, 2009

I logged in today and my ticket is gone for my September 12th social studies test. I signed up for it incase I didn't pass the July test. Does this mean that I passed it?!

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 21, 2009

Chances are good, yes, but please don't break out the 70% chocolate till the official scores reach you.

21. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 21, 2009

I can't find my old admission ticket. Where is the information about calling for PRAXIS scores?

22. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 21, 2009

Call 18773878322

Have your SS#
    Your Test Date and Year
    Birthday
    &
    CC Ready

Good luck! :)

23. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 21, 2009

I called and I passed! (Not the Middle School Social Studies one. I didn't even take that one...) Yay!

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 22, 2009

Congratulations, MissCeliaB!

25. lowes48

lowes48 Companion

Aug 22, 2009

Congrads!!: :2up:

26. History Nut

History Nut Rookie

Aug 27, 2009

For studying to the Middle School Social Studies, I studied the AP level review books. I found them very helpful as a review. My interests, however, have always included history and my background is business so you may need some texts to supplement.

I didn't think I passed either but I did!

27. Fantastic

Fantastic New Member

Jun 2, 2012

Can you send me a copy of your test guide?
    Thanks!

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 2, 2012

Welcome to A to Z, Fantastic.

This thread is almost three years old, and people don't tend to keep test-prep materials, in my experience (one woman once said she was going to throw a margarita party to celebrate passing her test, with a bonfire fueled by her collection of test-prep books).

Are you taking this test for the first time?