Middle school Resource Room, help

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by pommom, Dec 10, 2015.

1. pommom

pommom Comrade

Dec 10, 2015

The interview I have tomorrow is for a SPED Resource co-teach position at a middle school. I asked if it was in a specific subject or all subjects and I didn't get an answer because the job post was very vague.
    The lady on the phone asked if there was a subject I didn't feel comfortable with and I said probably not math. She said she would ask and try to get more details on what this position teaches and will call me back, but I never got a phone call back. I know I probably already made myself look bad by saying I am not good in math, but Iam honestly not prepared to teach middle school math.

Anyways,
    What SPECIFIC example can I say in how I would differentiate instruction in resource? what example can i give for elaborating the step by step procedure one?
    - Multi-level assignments
    - Tutoring (peer tutoring)
    - Graphic organizers and lots of visuals
    - Explaining content in a variety of ways, like step by step procedure that is easiest for the student to understand

What SPECIFIC example can I say in how a typical class day would be?

3. pommom

pommom Comrade

Dec 10, 2015

also how would I assess students in a resource room, besides using observations?

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2015

You should answer truthfully about how you would run your day in your room. No one can answer that for you. Do you feel prepared/qualified enough for ths position? If so, you need to project confidence and have strong answers for questions such as thise you've posed. Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Dec 10, 2015

Is this a resource/co-teaching position, meaning you'll do both? I think you're worrying about the math content too much. As the sped co-teacher, it's not your role to be the content area expert. That's why you don't need a math certification. Your role is to collaborate with the gen ed teacher to differentiate and provide accommodations or modified assignments for students. As a resource teacher, you'll likely be teaching students at a level somewhat below their actual grade level. It's unlikely you'd be teaching an 8th grader 8th grade math. It's more likely that you'd be working on an elementary level math if their skills are such that they require a resource setting.

In the resource room, you assess by giving regular assessments. They will based on students IEP goals. It's progress-monitoring.

I agree with czacza that only you can answer what a specific day in your classroom will look like. In my room, I do small group lessons targeted at students' skill levels and IEP goals. There's more to it than that, of course, but that's the gist. When I co-teach, I'm either assisting students, pulling small groups, or share the teaching duties with the gen ed teacher while we teach the whole class together. I modify assessments by rephrasing questions for students with language difficulties, eliminating answer choices, and providing structured answer stems. I strategically group students for partner or team work. I assign roles based on students' strengths. I use concrete manipulatives and visual aides to teach concepts, plus graphic organizers to support students' thinking. Only you can decide what you'll do in your room... and your co-teaching rooms will not only depend on you as an individual teacher but on the gen ed teacher's style and preferences as well.

If co-teaching is going to be part of your job, be prepared to discuss how you'll collaborate and communicate with your co-teachers.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    Luv2TeachInTX likes this.
  6. pommom

pommom Comrade

Dec 14, 2015

It was a little odd that they didn't even ask one question about differentiating or assessing. They said I wouldn't have my own classroom, but I would go room to room to help those students falling behind. It is still a co-teach position. The interview went well.

7. RhiannonMackenzie

RhiannonMackenzie New Member

Dec 15, 2015

For step-by-step procedures, you might want to include previewing the steps prior to the activity and having visuals for each step.

8. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Dec 15, 2015

Congrats on the interview going welll.
    I interviewed for a Sp. Ed position and they did not ask at all about differentiation or assessing either.