Middle School Reading Help!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MsX, Jul 28, 2009.

1. MsX

MsX Companion

Jul 28, 2009

I've been tutoring a middle school-aged girl off and on for about a year and a half. She is diagnosed with a learning disorder and struggles particularly with reading (she still has trouble decoding and often lacks comprehension). To add to this, in working with her, I've realized that she is almost always assigned books that are WAY above her level - she can independently read at about a GR level P and I just learned her summer reading book is a Y. I've been very frustrated with this fact but since I'm not her teacher, there's not much I can do except to help her struggle through the books.

Her mother just emailed me and asked me to do a few tutoring sessions this summer to help her with her summer reading. I am at a loss as to how I can help her because this book is too HARD! Do I just explain things as we go?? I feel like that's not TEACHING her anything...but how I can I expect her to understand a book that's so much harder than her frustration level?:dizzy:

I welcome anyone's ideas!! If anyone has some comprehension strategies that you've found helpful for students, I'd love to hear them.

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

Is there a reason why she can't listen to the book on CD while following along? That way, she can focus on the story and her understanding of it rather than decoding. I often give my struggling reader this option.

4. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Jul 28, 2009

Make sure you do prereading each time you read with her (preview vocabulary, make predictions, etc). Take turns reading aloud (if she is way below the reading level of the book, mark up what she CAN read and you read the rest). Tie the book into what she DOES know. If the teacher insists that she must read the book on her own, read a chapter aloud first and then have her read it back to you.

What book is it? I find that some of my lower readers do well if they read a small sections and the listen to that section on tape or watch small parts of the movie/ compare. Maybe her book is one that you can find on cd at the library.

Sometimes the idea of the whole novel is scary for students...can you "Cut up" the book and just give her the parts that you cover each day?

Good luck!

5. MsX

MsX Companion

Jul 28, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I will definitely look into getting the book on cd, as I think that may help her.

I will also be sure to do previewing with her (I have done this in the past and it does help). I like the idea of reading and then rereading too, as the repeated exposure will probably help comprehension as well.

Another challenge I have is that tutoring sessions are usually scheduled infrequently. I might get to read a few chapters with her and then it'll be a few weeks before we meet again! I've expressed this with her parents, but scheduling issues seem to get in the way. I guess all I can do is make the most of the session while I'm there! I have to tell myself that I can't work miracles (as much as I'd like to!!)