Middle school questions

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Shinchan, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Shinchan

Shinchan Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

I have an interview tomorrow for an ESL middle school position, but my internship was in elementary, so I have two questions. First, do middle schoolers have any kind of parent/teacher conferences? Secondly, are parents kept informed of their students' progress? Just wondering if there is as much communication between parents and teachers in middle school as there is at the elementary level. Thanks.

3. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Jul 29, 2008

I taught middle school last year, 6th grade LA. I cant tell you how many meeting I went to during the year. At my school we didnt have parent teacher conferences, but if the parents wanted a meeting we would set one up. My team and I made a lof of phone calls home to parents for various reasons: behavior, no hw, concerned... So there was a lot of comunication going on through the year.

4. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2008

Our school schedules conferences twice a year - in Nov. for anyone who requests it, and in March we have lengthier conferences for at risk students. Students with IEP's have parent conferences at least twice. Usually those teachers communicate frequently by phone or email with the parents. Good luck!

5. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Jul 30, 2008

I agree with Lareigna. There are many phone calls home and conferences throughout the year. And tons of emails! Conferences at my school are teacher or parent initiated and we are not required to have one for every student. Still, communication is an ongoing effort in many forms. You can do monthly newsletters, class webpage, letters in the mail, postcards with positive notes, written notes in student agendas, etc...Middle school students have an uncanny talent for losing handouts and parents never get them, so find some form of communication that is not dependent on them getting it home. Find some form of documentation for all your contact too. I've had to pull my records several times when parents have said in conferences that they hadn't been contacted or "didn't know." There's not much they can say after they see the contact record.

Good luck with your interview!

6. msmath

msmath Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

Yes, my school has parent teacher conferences, and back to school night. We have two parent teacher conferences throughout the year (Nov and Feb) and they are for two days (evening, and afternoon).

We can also have individual parent conferences whenever it is needed and it does happen. Sometimes the whole grade team will speak with the parent (the dean, AP, or guidance counselor may be there as well).

We send out progress reports before report cards. There should be a lot of communication between parents and teachers IMO. That is one of my goals for next year- to make sure I send notes home or call parents more to inform them of how their child is doing.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 1, 2008

We have back to school night before school begins, and then we have a formal parent conference after the first grading period. Students get formal grade reports send home every three weeks, and parents can contact the team leader for the grade to schedule a conference at other times.

8. MrL

MrL Companion

Aug 1, 2008

Every Wednesday & Thursday morning we have 1-3. I can home 1-4 times every week as often that is the only discipline measure that gets the kids attention. Their aforementioned ability to lose papers should not be overlooked.