Middle School Pie Throwing Event

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SB94, May 22, 2015.

1. SB94

SB94 New Member

May 22, 2015

Has anyone ever thrown a pie in a student’s face, and if you have, did it feel at all disrespectful?

Our Junior Honor Society does a popular pie throwing fundraiser at the end of every school year. 6th, 7th, and 8th grade honor students volunteer to stand in front of the whole school and let their friends and teachers throw pies in their faces. It’s a great cause and a fun opportunity for the students to break loose and do something wild and crazy. It’s also a total mess. The students end up getting completely covered from head to foot, with whipped cream and chocolate pudding even smeared in their hair. My final memory of several very special students has been of a pie going in their face.

This year, an eighth grader who will go down as one of my all time best students has asked me if I will throw a pie in her face. I’ve never done this before and, while it’s all in fun and really not that big a deal, it still feels kind of disrespectful to do this to a student. Would anyone else feel this way?

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 22, 2015

I hate stupid activities like this. Along with the "Dunk your Teacher" or "Throw a sponge in their face".

It seems disrespectful for them to do it to me, so there is no way in heck that I'd want to demean my students that way. That's my professional opinion. I know many will disagree.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 22, 2015

Is it a fundraiser for a good cause that students are excited about? Do the students seem excited about the pie throwing? I think it might be good, but you might want to see that students are excited and it isn't just staff excited to carry on a tradition. I have gotten dunked as a teacher to raise $$$ for a good cause, but I would be more hesitant to have students be the ones on the receiving end. I think it is good that you are proceeding with caution.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 22, 2015

At my old school I raised money for Relay for Life each year by having a "Pie Your Favorite Teacher" contest. They voted by donating money in that teacher's jar. All teachers agreed to be part. The top 3 got pied. I would cut off voting and then sell tickets to throw the pies for a couple of days. It was always a great fundraiser and time. The principal and I were chosen every year. The other "winner" was usually one of 4 other teachers. Everyone was always a great sport about it.

6. SB94

SB94 New Member

May 22, 2015

There's definitely some nervousness when the moment comes when they have to actually face the pies, as you'd expect. But the students do seem to have a blast doing this and it's always stressed that participation is optional. The sixth graders know what they're getting into because they got to watch as fourth and fifth graders. It does get extremely messy with each student taking multiple pies in the face. As a teacher, it's hard for me to enjoy doing that to a student, even an eighth grader who is graduating.

7. adeeb

adeeb Rookie

May 23, 2015

If it's all for fun, and the students volunteered for it and know what they're getting into, I don't see an issue with it. I don't imagine the pies are being catapulted at students. :p

It seems you are uncomfortable with the situation (and I would be as well). Have you talked to other teachers about their experience pieing their students in the face? How do they feel about it, and how did they make sure it wasn't a sign of disrespect? Maybe you can do a little dance before the pieing occurs to further convey that it's not serious.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 23, 2015

One year (when I was a classroom teacher), my principal volunteered to do the pie in the face challenge. Each student paid $2.00 to throw a whipped cream pie in his face.

In the end, his face got cut by the pie tins and he was bleeding. That was the first and last time we ever had that event.

I consider myself a fun guy, but I'm not a fan of these types of activities.

9. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

May 23, 2015

I am finishing up a long term sub assignment, and when I first took over the class I implemented a behavior wall, and the prize for reaching the top of the wall (there were different levels) was throwing a pie in my face. The kids who made it to the top threw the pies yesterday, and they had a blast. The whole 4th grade came outside to watch and the kids loved it.

I can certainly understand why some would be against events like this, and I will say it was incredibly messy. But seeing the kids get so much entertainment from it all made it worth it. I was happy to reward the kids who are well behaved and responsible day in and day out. It also really impressed my principal that I was willing to do it!

With all that said, I would not feel comfortable at all throwing a pie in a student's face. But that's just me!

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 24, 2015

Our PTO used to do this (with teachers getting pied), but as a staff we had concerns and now they sell the tickets and the names they draw get to have ice cream with a teacher - fun for all!

11. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 24, 2015

If your student is excited about I say go for it! And just miss on purpose. Or you could do something different like pie yourself! Or sit down and eat the pie. Something the kids will like and remember, but not necessarily smacking them in the face!

12. SB94

SB94 New Member

May 24, 2015

Thank you to everyone for your great comments. I talked with my husband and he suggested that our 6-year-old son might enjoy throwing a pie in my place. Throughout the school year he has come in to my room a few times and has met a few of the students involved. The atmosphere gets really loud and chaotic and I'm not sure how he would react to seeing "big kids," who he looks up to and idolizes, doing something like this.

I think my student feels like she's going to miss me and considers having me pie her to be a fun way to cap off eighth grade. But, in the end, I have a feeling she'll be taking so many pies from her friends that she won't even notice, one way or another.