Middle School novel recommendations..?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CDOR79, Jan 3, 2020.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Jan 3, 2020

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any great recommendations for the next novel I plan on reading with my students. I need one for my 7th graders and one for my 8th graders. If there was ONE you think might work for both, that would be even better! Lol. I’d like to have it be more current/modern that the students can really relate to.

I’ve been doing my research but there hasn’t been any that I’ve found that really convinced me yet. Plus there’s SO many, it’s hard to choose! Just thought I’d reach out to everyone on here.

Thanks so much!

3. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 3, 2020

Do you have any ideas? What have you eliminated and why?

Your question is way to vague for any suggestions to be more than throwing darts blindfolded after being turned around in circles by someone who will will the bet if you miss the board.

4. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Jan 4, 2020

Well, we just finished “Night” and “Of Mice and Men” so I’d like to do something a little “lighter” and positive.

I’d also like to do a book that the students could perhaps relate to on a personal level.

A2z- do you teach ELA?

5. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 4, 2020

What have you eliminated and why?

6. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Jan 10, 2020

Not exactly heavy reading, but I recently gave a copy of "Down The Long Hills" by Louis L'Amour. to a middle schooler who wanted something easy to read, and he loved it.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jan 10, 2020

The Wednesday Wars by Gary Schmidt -about a 7th grader over 1968-69 year which shows a lot of history such as Vietnam and MLK and Robert Kennedy assassination. Very entertaining, funny in many parts. Was runner up for Newberry Award.

Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie--very well written, funny, yet touching story of an 8th grader who thinks he knows what he wants until he finds out his Kindergarten brother has cancer.

Schooled by Gordon Korman

Those all are real page turners that they are sure to enjoy. They are great for class discussion with good lessons within the book.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Tired Teacher likes this.
  8. firstgradeteacher

firstgradeteacher Rookie

Jan 13, 2020

What about Little Women?