Middle School Math Work Stations

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by txteach26, Jul 2, 2011.

1. txteach26

txteach26 Rookie

Jul 2, 2011

I've been researching Math Work Stations and/or Math Workshop for a while now. I haven't found much info on using it at the middle school level. Anyone used it at the 4-6 level, or know of a place to look?

I'm interested in what types of things you put out, how you manage movement, and how/what you do with small groups.

Thanks!

3. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Jul 2, 2011

I'm no help - because I've been searching for the same thing! We are moving to more heterogeneously grouped math classes this year - and I am going to need to be able to do more stations/centers/workshops with my class. I teach 6 grade. . . When I had the slower-paced class, I automatically made flexible groups ... but I had my intern and an Instructional Support Teacher there most days taking groups - so it was more of just plain small group work.... I need to come up with a system that I could do even if it were just me and the class with no support.

I think some ideas can be taken from: http://blogs.scholastic.com/top_teaching/2010/05/math-workshop.html

I had another site - but I must have bookmarked it on my iPod... will try to find it soon.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2011

I actually have used a variety of math small group and workshop with my sixth graders. I love it!

5. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Jul 2, 2011

Mopar - Do you have a specific way you organize it? I do lots of small group work... but I don't know how I want to organize it as a system...

6. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 2, 2011

7. aggie21

aggie21 Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

I did math stations about once or twice a week with my 6th graders.

1.Computers or 24 card game- multiplication or division fact games, my lower students used a software purchased by the school while my more advanced students played games from approved websites. If I didn't have enough computers or didn't want them on the computers one day I would have them play a math card game. Sometimes I felt like this time could be better utilized but I needed something that the students could do on their own while I worked with other students.

2. Small group- Either my co-teacher or I would sit with a group and re-teach, work on corrections, ellaborate on a lesson etc.

3.Game or Activity- some sort of activity that was hands on relating to what we were learning, does require some supervision if students have questions or to make sure students were on task

4.Homework- students worked independently on an assignemt.

In my larger classes where I had 2 sets of rotations going or if an aide or co-teacher was not there I would put the activity next to the small group so I could supervise.

It worked really well. I used an online timer on the board, or I used a service bell so that students knew to rotate.

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 31, 2011

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2011

I give a pretest at the beginning of the unit. Then I use the pretest to determine where each student is for each concept taught in the unit. It's not as hard as it seems because the questions on the pretest are grouped by concept taught.

This forms the basis of my small groups to start. As we move through the unit and students are given quizzes, small groups may or may not change depending on results. I number my groups for ease, but change the high vs low number each time.

For my rotations, I have a problem solving challenge problem weekly, math skill games (all played with dice and cards), extension game (usually goes along with our unit), skill review, and meet with teacher. Of course these are not all done in a day. Meet with teacher (daily, usually), skill review (daily, usually), the other stations change (M/T are problem solving, W math skills, T/F math extension).