Middle School Management

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CDOR79, Aug 12, 2019.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Aug 12, 2019

So I’ll be teaching ELA to 6th, 7th and 8th graders this year. It'll be my first time teaching Middle School grades, so it’s a whole new world for me!

I’m curious if anyone has any good classroom Management “systems” to share that you have found to be effective. I’ve used BUG bucks, point systems, Classroom Dojo to name a few, but I feel they’re too childish. I don’t know what can work with these older ones! Lol

Thanks!

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 12, 2019

We are a building-wide Dojo school. You can make Dojo work by changing their icons to their photos instead of little monsters. You can also have older vocabulary/wording of expectations.

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2019

I taught 6th grade last year and I didn’t really have a system. I struggled with classroom management in one of my classes (it was my first year) and my main issues were issues like talking and off task behavior. My classes were large and one of them was way too loud during work time.We have school money “bucks” but the kids didn’t care about it after a few weeks.

Next year, I am going to try using CHAMPS for my behavior management system. The expectations are so clearly laid out that I think it will really help the kids. I am not planning on using reward or incentive systems unless specific students need it. I might do a whole class one if that’s something my team does though, but I really dislike keeping track of individual student rewards.

5. zmp2018

zmp2018 Rookie

Aug 13, 2019

I student-taught three ELA blocks of 85 minutes each last fall. I found that this age group really likes routines. I also found it useful to learn names QUICKLY because calling out a kid’s name and giving him or her “the look” was really helpful.

otterpop likes this.
  6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 13, 2019

I’ve used CHAMPs for many, many years. I love it.