Middle School Lunch Room Help!

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by cmw, Feb 5, 2011.

1. cmw

cmw Groupie

Feb 5, 2011

I was wondering if anyone out there has something in place in their middle school lunch rooms to help keep students occupied? I have 8th grade lunch duty the rest of the year. I'm 2 weeks in & the loudness and organized chaos is wearing on me. We have about 230 students and 2 (sometimes 3) adults.
    :thanks:

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2011

Simple but effective...give each table three cups (green, yellow, red). When one table is getting loud, switch their cup to yellow. Then if they continue, switch to red. This means that they are silent the rest of the lunch period.

Another idea, we do karaoke once a week. If the lunch room is respectful, cleans up, and relatively quiet, the students get to have karaoke. Basically, we have a microphone and the students volunteer to come up and sing. But really, you could do anything!

4. ecochick

ecochick Rookie

Mar 1, 2011

We only have 20 mins for lunch from the time we enter the cafeteria to when we are supposed to be leaving. My kids barely have time to eat right now, but we are looking at a longer lunch, and I would really be interested to see what ideas come up here.