Middle School Librarians

Discussion in 'Library/Media Teachers' started by jellybeans, Apr 10, 2009.

1. jellybeans

jellybeans New Member

Apr 10, 2009

Just wondering if there are any other future librarians out there! I'm finishing my second year of teaching in just a few weeks, and have started my master's program, so technically, I could be in a library as soon as next school year. Those of you that are already working in middle school libraries, do you have any advice? Was it difficult to find a position (I'm in Texas, btw)? Has the job lived up to your expectations?

Thanks for any advice!

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 16, 2009

I'm certified in library media education, but I'm currently in the classroom. This is my third year teaching, but I'm starting to itch to get into the library. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE teaching and what I do, and I don't know that I could make the decision to switch if the opportunity presented itself, but there's so many awesome things and programs I'd like to implement for our middle school students through the library. An opening is rare, I've found. So maybe I won't have to worry about making the decision for a few years. :)

4. texaslibrarian

texaslibrarian Rookie

May 16, 2009

I am almost done with my first year as a librarian in K-5 school. I LOVE IT!!!!! So much freedom to set my schedule and collaborate with teachers. But best of all, all the children love the library and get so excited about everything. We just received another monetary donation in which I'll get to spend for any program I set up next year. I was so nervous about starting, but I just did the best I could. I have learned so much in just one year. You'll love the library and never want to return to the classroom! Good luck and best to you!

5. jellybeans

jellybeans New Member

May 16, 2009

Thanks for the reply! My original goal was to be a middle school librarian, but I have only seen one opening for that and it was gone within the week! I have applied for a few elementary librarian positions, but I wasn't sure that was where I really wanted to be, mostly because I'm not exactly sure what an elementary librarian does! Your post did make me feel excited about the possibility though! I live in Texas too - can you tell me a little bit more about what your library responsibilities are on a day to day basis? Thanks so much!

6. texaslibrarian

texaslibrarian Rookie

May 17, 2009

It will depend on your principal on what you have to do. My Principal let's me set the schedule and who I want to see. He also let's me spend the budget as I see fit. I wrote a proposal to an area business the summer before I started and they donated some money and supplies for my program ideas. Basically, I scheduled k,1, and 3 classes to come in a check out books once a week for 30 min. I give a short lesson or read a book and then they check out books. The teacher has to remain with their students the whole time and help them select books. As for 3-5 grade students, the teachers would sign them up to check out books if they needed. I train all the students on how to check out at the beginning of the year. I also train my library aides, so I do not shelve books and students check out by themselves. I have parents who set up my displays every month. I basically spend most of my time thinking of contests and activities to promote reading and learning in the school. I also help teachers find resources. I handle the budget and decide what books to order and how to spend it. I've had so much fun handing out prizes and gifts to students and staff! In a nutshell, I:
    -handle the budget and order books and materials
    -shop for prizes and decide how to use donations
    -promote reading and direct teachers to resources
    -attend library conferences
    -delegate duties and train library aides and parent volunteers
    -organize the book fair and decide how to spend sale profits
    -collect money for lost books

7. bizzbeth125

bizzbeth125 Rookie

May 21, 2009

Hi everyone.

I'm still in the researching part-- trying to figure out if I need both a teaching credential and a library media services certificate to be an elementary/middle school librarian or if a masters degree in library sciences will qualify me for open positions in this field.

Anyone have some experience with these types of positions and what is usually required. I'm in California, BTW.

Thank you!

Best,
    Elizabeth

8. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jun 11, 2009

Future Librarian

Hi all,
    I have been a teacher for 13 years. I am in the middle of adding my MLIS. I will be finished in December. I am very excited about becoming a librarian. I am also excited that we have a place to talk on the forums. I will teach another year or 2 before I am offered a library position, I'm sure. But I am interested in hearing from current librarians.

9. Knightlygoddess

Knightlygoddess New Member

Sep 15, 2009

I was hired in as a librarian with only an English degree, I do not have a Library Science degree (I interviewed for a teaching position, but they offered me library and I grabbed it because you know how tough the market is right now).

I'm rather overwhelmed. The library has no system for check out (not even cards in the books...) and I'm "starting from scratch" as it were. It is great that I get to set up my own system and help to get this fledgling library off the ground, however, I'm intimidated because I have no idea what cataloging software is best, and what I really NEED in terms of barcoding/scanning equipment.

What sort of systems do your libraries use?