Middle School Endorsement in OH

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by catnfiddle, Jul 10, 2015.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 10, 2015

I have been considering getting at 4-9 endorsement for English and Social Studies (Ohio seems to require a duel certification for this grade level). However, I am having a terrible time finding out if I would need to take any additional classes or if I would simply have to pass a content Praxis. I could probably pass a Social Studies content exam, but I haven't taken enough college classes in the subject to be considered HQT.

This is something I tried to research on the Ohio Department of Education website but was only able to find the types of endorsements, not the requirements to attain them. When my father wanted to add an endorsement in PA, he simply took the Praxis for it, but I am pretty sure it is more complicated here in OH.

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 11, 2015

Didn't Ohio switch away from praxis to a different test? I know they did for 7-12 English because BF's sister was talking about it.

Otherwise I'm not sure, but I don't think it's just a test.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 11, 2015

The tests are now Pearson tests: Ohio Assessments for Educators, www.oh.nesinc.com. I haven't had much occasion to look at them yet, so I don't know whether they're strictly multiple choice (like most Praxis and many Pearson tests) or combining multiple choice and constructed response (like California's and Masssachusetts's tests).

As for the requirements to add an area, the Ohio DOE Web site is indeed amazingly unhelpful: my best Google-fu is defeated, at least at the moment. You may need to break down and try one of the email contacts, or see if the nearest teacher-prep program is disposed to dispense information for free.

5. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 13, 2015

I had to take extra coursework to go from K-12 SPED to getting certified in 4-9 Language Arts. However, it was fairly easy. I took one course per semester (plus sometimes 2/3 courses during the summer) and I finished in a year and a half.