Middle School Concert Behavior Consequences?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by midgradeteach, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Mar 28, 2017

We have a few concerts (band and music combined) in our small middle school every year. The kids sit in the audience when it isn't their turn on stage and their behavior has gotten worse every time. Do other schools have consequences when students misbehave in a situation like this? We are struggling because sometimes the parents can see their child misbehaving in the audience and don't care. It is getting increasingly difficult for 2 teachers to manage 50 kids in an audience that spend the entire time talking to each other instead of listening respectfully. Any advice?

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2017

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2017

Our music teachers, who are the band conductors and choir directors, drill appropriate audience behaviour into the students. They have been known to pause a concert in order to remind the audience to sit quietly and to participate in appropriate ways (clapping in rhythm, etc). Our principal always speaks at the beginning of concerts to remind everyone (parents included) of the expectation that all performers are shown respect. Any students who aren't able to follow expectations are removed from the room. I've been to many concerts where I wished I could remove some of the parents!

For our concerts over 45 minutes or those that involve several groups, the students in different groups wait in holding rooms until it is their turn to perform. They are able to sit and talk quietly while waiting, then enter the gym (where the performances are held) when it is their turn.

5. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Mar 28, 2017

I student taught junior high band and music at a school where appropriate behavior was a challenge, parents included. What my co-op did was had a list of do's and don'ts printed on the back of the programs, then had a pre-concert audience "quiz" on behavior. That worked well because everyone was reminded right before and there was no excuse for the items on the don't list.

Another choice is to give the kids some sort of assignment to do while the other groups perform, like a concert review, or something specific to watch/listen for.

Worst case, you could always do what a HS director of mine did. The entire HS band system (200-ish kids) had to write a 4-page letter as "pretend" audience members at a "hypothetical" concert where "hypothetical" bad behavior occurred all because two or three people yelled "happy birthday" to one of the kids onstage. :rolleyes: