Middle School Classrooms

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by helpinghand, Aug 23, 2005.

1. helpinghand

helpinghand Rookie

Aug 23, 2005

I always see pictures for elementary classrooms, but what about middle school. I teach 6th grade Language Arts. Does anyone have class pics. to share? I want a room that is comfortable and invites my students to be strong readers and writers.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 23, 2005

Middle schoolers have math in my 5th grade room. Other classrooms that are used only for middle aren't as cutesy. Our social studies room always has lots of creative stuff hanging around - cave drawings, masks, sarcophagi (really), timelines. Our LA has lots of inspirational posters and BBs of student writing. It has a nice sized library along the walls.

4. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 23, 2005

I would have been happy to send you mine, but I don't have it any more. I miss it, too.

5. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Aug 24, 2005

I have had a problem with how to make a not so cutsey BB in my 6th grade LA class. I have one bulletin board with the phrase Oh the Places You'll go and on the first day of school they will have dr suess hats and write a goal on it. The reading BB has garden cut outs and books with the names and authors on it. I am saving this for the students to recommend books. They will take a book template and write the name of the book the author and why they liked it. Under the BB I have a basket where the children will put the recommended book.
    I know its still a bit cutsey - but its kinda their BB after the first few weeks of school. The wrting one will eventually have their work on it too.
    I have a smaller BB wth baseball material on it titles Catch the News and there I a post lunch menus, newsletters, etc

I am open to ideas since I am a brand new teacher too ;-)

6. helpinghand

helpinghand Rookie

Aug 24, 2005

Thanks for the input. I know 6th graders like to be treated with a mature environment, but I think they feel more comfortable, during this transition year, with a more comfy and yes sometimes cutesy. Cinmcl61 I like your bulletin boards. They seem more creative than cutesy. In Langauge Arts we need to spark and encourage creativity.

7. rgossett

rgossett Rookie

Aug 26, 2005

I am 6th Grade LA also, but we also teach 1 period of Math and 1 of and Exploratory of our choice (but could be changing to Reading).
    I love those BB ideas and may have to borrow them when setting up my classroom this weekend. I am trying to figure out a new arrangement for my room. Any ideas??

8. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005

I am taching an exploratory too. I amhaving them write and illustrate a childrens picture book.
    I have my class a U shape right now but may change it to small groups in a few weeks. I am open to many ideas too ;-)

9. rgossett

rgossett Rookie

Aug 26, 2005

Wow!! What a good idea for an exploratory...how long are yours? This is something I could really get into and my principal would LOVE :) Would you mind sharing some more details?
    Thanks
    Rachel

10. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005

I have exploratory 2 times a week for 45 minutes. This is my first time so I don' t have too many details. It lasts about 2 months. Here is my plan. The first day read 2-3 picture books, with feeling and pointing out ideas and pictures. (They are going to be using clipart, their own drawings, and magazine pics.) They are also going to have time to explore other books I will have around the room. There will be A to Z books, fact books, etc all picture books.
    If time allows they will brainstorm ideas for their book.

Day 2 - brainstorm and begin writing first draft. Then I will work with them for writing to a younger audience and ideas for their book.

There will be a dedicaiton page etc.

On the last day they will go read to the younger grades and have a choice of donating the book to the class or bringing it home (or maybe someone will leave it for me so I can show the next class)

I will be doing it with them the first time. I have not had a chnace to do one to model for them so I will just be beside them doing my own.

Feel free to email me for more updates. This is my first exploratory....so we'll see ;-)

11. rgossett

rgossett Rookie

Aug 26, 2005

Sounds like a good plan! I taught sewing last year but there is no $ to get the machines serviced and repaired so I have to come up with something else...that doesn't cost a lot of $. I did cooking the year before but the 8th grade teacher is using the home ec room that period this year so...
    I think I might try this :) Thanks so much for sharing !

12. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005

your welcome ;-) We can both experiment with this and see how it goes. My exploratory starts Sept 5th and I am excited and nervous - on top of that I am a first year teacher so I should be kept busy this year.

13. rgossett

rgossett Rookie

Aug 26, 2005

This is my 3rd year with 6th graders, before that it was Title 1 Reading and 8th grade English (1/2 day of each). I am totally changing a lot of my stuff though this year because honestly my focus the last 2 years was being pregnant and then being a new mom, so my really creative, lots of time projects were put on the back burner. I feel like I am getting things under control though, so I want to start redoing a lot of what I have been using. We start school Sept 7th. I am always nervous for the first day of school though...
    Ok I hope this makes sense because I feel like I totally rambled :)
    Rachel

14. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005

I am VERY nervous but I am also so excited. There is so much I want to do with Literature Circles, Novels, writing and so much more. We are also going away to Science Camp in October - 5 days and 4 nights in Maine. My children have gone so it will be kinda neat to do that.

15. rgossett

rgossett Rookie

Aug 26, 2005

Sounds like fun. Are you planning on tying in any of your novels to Social Studies or Science? Our SS is Ancient Studies and our Science is Environmental. I have been looking for some good novels to tie into AS we read Crispin last year, but the kids didn't really like it..I'm not sure if I want to try it again this year or not. I also am thinking about reading Hoot aloud but I haven't previewed it yet.
    If you need any advice about Lit Circles let me know, I have done them for the last two years and did my Master's project based on them.

16. cntrylndncr7

cntrylndncr7 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005

Is anybody teaching Math?

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 26, 2005

I teach middle school math.

18. cntrylndncr7

cntrylndncr7 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005

Did I read that you teach in Florida? I teach math ( 7th grade )in New Jersey. I am looking for a way to exchange 100 postcards by the 100th day of school. Would you like to do that with us? I teach Special Needs students ( 3 classes 10-15 students per class) . I am also an inclusion teacher for two periods per day ( 20 to 25 reg ed and
    Special Ed students per class ).

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 26, 2005

Too late for me because we started on August 15th. Also, I have very small classes. Sorry. Start a new thread under postcard exchange.

20. rgossett

rgossett Rookie

Aug 26, 2005

How does a postcard exchange work?

21. cntrylndncr7

cntrylndncr7 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005

I'm not really sure. A couple of years ago, I got a list of 100 addresses and sent a postcard to each from my school. I then waited hoping that I would get 100 postcards back. I never did get all 100. I think I received 50 tp 60. Would you like to be part of my most recent attempt at the golden 100? I'm trying to get 100 postcards by the 100th day of school which will be in January for my school. I teach Special Ed / Math to 7th grade students in New Jersey. Where do you teach? What do you teach? I see approximately 10-15 students in each of my three classes and approximately 20 to 25 special ed and regular ed students in my two inclusion classes.

22. pfnw

pfnw Rookie

Aug 28, 2005

cntrylndncr7,

What information would you need/ like on the postcards? How many would I have to send?

23. cntrylndncr7

cntrylndncr7 Rookie

Aug 29, 2005

Hi! You're from Oregon, that's cool. If you only want to send one postcard, that's ok. You can send one telling me about your class. How many students do you have. What kinds of things do your kids like to do. What will they be studying this year. Do you have any special activities throughout the year that you do ( September, even ? ). Can you tell us a little bit about your town? My school address is: Mrs. S. Mosley
    Levitt Middle School
    50 Salem Road
    Willingboro, NJ 08046

What is your address?

24. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 29, 2005

I used to order a lot of movie stills from Ebay, of Anne Frank, Red Fern, etc; you know, books we read in class. They are cheap and make great bulletin board displays. Movie posters of titles we used in class are also good.

25. cntrylndncr7

cntrylndncr7 Rookie

Aug 30, 2005

That sounds like a great idea? Can you tell me how to do that. Also, do you want to be part of our postcard exchange for the 100th day? What grade do you teach? I teach 7th grade Math in New Jersey. If you are interested, please send me your school address. Mine is: Mrs. S. Mosley
    Levitt Middle School
    50 Salem Road
    Willingboro, NJ 08046

26. cntrylndncr7

cntrylndncr7 Rookie

Aug 30, 2005

I would send a postcard to your classroom and you can send one to mine. I teach 7th grade Math in New Jersey. If you are interested, I can send you my school address. What grade do you teach? In what state is your school?

27. pfnw

pfnw Rookie

Aug 30, 2005

cntrylndncr7,

My school address is:

Clara Brownell Middle School
    c/o Jeff Lowry
    1300 7th Street
    Umatilla, OR 97882

Students start on the 6th. I am not sure how many students I'll have until then.

28. cntrylndncr7

cntrylndncr7 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005

My students start on the 7th. My address is : Mrs. S. Mosley
    Levitt Middle School
    50 Salem Road
    Willingboro, NJ 08046

29. Creole38

Creole38 Rookie

Sep 10, 2005

Please help me! I yelled at students today, 7th grade. It seems that no matter how many times I asked the students to stop talking they continued to talk. I am a new teacher and I have approx. 47 students in my class, it's crazy! I'm so depressed actually. I've taken class room management class but when the students pretend that you are invisible what do you do? Then all of the teachers at the school say that I should not use the prescribed textbook as it's tedious and boring. Well, I tried to get copy paper and that was just drama....I'm wondering what I am supposed to do to make this all work.

30. cntrylndncr7

cntrylndncr7 Rookie

Sep 10, 2005

Hi! I teach 7th grade Special Ed. I know what it's like to try to teach when everyone is talking. It is extremely frustrating! 47 is a lot of students!!! What subject do you teach? Do you have the same class all day?

Have you tried putting them into groups, maybe 4 in each group, and having them complete an assignment together? The group could have a leader ( keeps the others on task ), a recorder (writes down the answers for the group ), a reporter ( presents it to the class ). a timekeeper ( makes sure they finish the assignment in the allotted time ), runner ( person who goes to the teacher with any questions from the group ). You can tell them that each group will get points for how well they do the assignment and give a prize or extra grade to the group who does the best. I also might help if you limit the amount of time you give them to complete the assignment. Ten minutes is good. If they still need more time, you can mete out extra time maybe one or two minutes at a time. Also, you can choose a signal ( your hand up, counting backwards from 10, a bell, etc ). Tell them they are to stop talking a look at you when they hear the signal. Reward the first 5 students who follow your directions ( candy always works, but I'm not a proponent of candy, you can use stickers, stamps, pretzels, privileges, notes home, etc. ) Try to be patient with yourself and your students. 7th grade is a tough age. Be firm, stick by your rules. Good luck. Tell me how it goes.

31. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 10, 2005

I will send you each a postcard from Kansas. We are doing a snail mail exchange and also the e mail postcard. http://www.postcardsfrom.com/ You might want to visit this site. They send a post card every week. I think this is the way we are going to go this year. Students draw numbers and number 1 print the card and information the first week and etc. Than start over again until you get all fifty states. We will put them on our large United States map on the BB. As a teacher we will need to remember to print the post card of the week when we are on vacation.