middle school classroom management

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by cjven, Jun 17, 2007.

1. cjven

cjven Rookie

Jun 17, 2007

I am starting a new middle school social studies job this fall. Although last year, my first year teaching, I was in a middle school I had some trouble with classroom management. It was only with two of my classes (out of 7) but I want to fix th problem early on this year.

I was wondering what your expert opinion is on "The First Days of School: How to Be an Effective Teacher." I have heard it is full of alot of great ideas but before I purchase it I thought I would ask what you thought?

Any other suggested reading for a second year teacher?

3. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jun 17, 2007

Although I'm going to be a first year teacher, I've been reading it this summer and found it quite helpful. I've talked with many experienced teachers about it and they often refer to it. One who has been teaching about 15 years says she still reads it before starting the school year. I think it's only about $30, my opinion is that it's worth the investment

4. wig

wig Devotee

Jun 17, 2007

I have been in the middle school classroom for over 20 years and I love Harry Wongs book. Over the years I have tweaked it some to fit my style of teaching , but it gave me a start. I use his book for procedures and Love and Logic for discipline. Both have worked well for me.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 17, 2007

My principal is a huge fan of Harry Wong, Fred Jones, and Randy Sprick.

Personally, I love Randy Sprick's CHAMPs program. I've used it for 5 years or longer, and it's really effective.

6. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Jun 18, 2007

I am planning on rereading Wong over the summer. I think it is an excellent book!! Also, have you read "Day one and Beyond" by Rick Wormeli? That's a good read too. Good luck!

7. AHB

AHB Rookie

Jun 18, 2007

Wong is wonderful! A teacher gave me her book in 2000 and she saw how much a loved it and went out and bought herself a replacement. Check out the website for that book. It has an example of a powerpoint presentation on it that is fabulous.

8. bridge

bridge Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

Can you tell me more about this CHAMPs program?