Middle School Classroom Decorations

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jul 21, 2011.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 21, 2011

So...as a six-year-long 2nd grade teacher, I'm definitely leaving my comfort zone as I enter a middle school setting.

Here's my question: Most (actually, almost all) the middle school classrooms I've been in have always had minimal decorations. No butcher paper, no border, no art work--nothing. I am so accustomed to having a colorful & inviting classroom. Will people give me weird looks if I continue to have a colorful classroom in the middle school environment?

Please be honest--you won't hurt my feelings!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2011

All our classrooms, including our middle school classrooms, are expected to be decorated.

Background paper, border, and some posters.

You can find some of the Argus inspiritational posters, as well as Ziggy, Snoopy, and the like.

4. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 21, 2011

I say go for it! I have MS students that tell me they like coming in my room (both in PK and Kinder classes) because it's colorful, fun to be in, feels good and not boring.
    they're at that awkward in-between age...want to be "little", want to be "grown". Even our 8th grade is colorful with a mix of 'cute' & more grown up. Lots of posters scattered around: words of encouragement/inspiration, tips for being/doing their best, etc.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 21, 2011

I always decorate my classroom. I like it that way. I posted some pictures of my classroom last year on the thread about classroom setup.

6. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 21, 2011

No, Not at all!! I decorate my classroom every year. My original degree is elementary education with an add on certification in Middle level math, so it may be the elementary teacher in me but I still do all the cute stuff. The kids don't mind it at all. You will find ways to make those decorations "mature". Do what you want in your class and don't worry about what the other classrooms look like/what they think of you! :)

7. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 21, 2011

I am a sixth grade teacher. I have always had a lot of decorations and tons of color. I think I have more than the 4th grade teacher. I do it to for me and the kids, no one else. I wouldn't worry. I would decorate how you normally do. Best wishes, if you need any help PM me.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 21, 2011

I taught sixth grade with the same fabric/decorations I used in second grade and now fourth.

My mom is a high school English teacher and I made over her room. She had teachers and kids from all over the school coming in to see the "coolest room in the school" so I think if big, tough football players like a colorful room, then scrawny middle schoolers will too.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 21, 2011

I always have decorated my room with lots of posters and bright colors! If that's your personality, go for it. :)

10. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 22, 2011

I like decorating my bulletin boards with nice colorful fabric and nice border. I also have several posters. I don't have a lot but I have enough to make it colorful and not plain.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2011

We're required to have our rooms decorated (ok, maybe not "required." But it's on the eval).

My bulletin boards are done up with paper and boarders. I have tons of content posters - most of which get added as the year progresses. Any inspirational posters are in the back of the room. I have a giant calendar where I add due dates, tests, etc. And I have stuffed animals in various places for demonstrations.

12. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 22, 2011

I ditto this entire post. After moving from elementary to middle I just kept on decorating my classroom in a cheery way. Many classrooms were really dull in the school, but people always complimented my environment. This year I moved into a new school halfway through the year then things got hectic and never got it decorated. It was depressing and one kid made a comment about how boring the room was. :( I didn't like that very much.

13. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 22, 2011

Every teacher is different. You need to do what is right for you & your classroom. My room is quite bright & decorated compared to most of the other rooms in my building. (I have a fish, toads, curtains, lime green crates, plants, and soon to be lime green bulletin boards.) I'm sure some people think it is silly...but others like it. Especially important are that my students like it & so do I! :p

14. Hitchcock fan

Hitchcock fan Companion

Jul 22, 2011

Be sure to leave room for student work -- that's my chief wall decoration.

15. LiteratureLover

LiteratureLover Rookie

Jul 22, 2011

I was just thinking about this. I have been looking for bulletin board/decorating ideas, but a lot of them are "supposed" to appeal to the younger ages I guess. I will have 8th graders in a high school setting, so I'm not sure how to decorate it.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2011

No, no...please make the room comfortable and inviting! :)

I hate (for the students) that your experience has been blank bulletin boards and otherwise blah middle school classrooms. I don't want to post online publicly, but I'll be glad to share through private messages pictures of my room next week.

17. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 22, 2011

I teach 5th grade in a middle school setting. I try to have bright colors instead of themes. No frogs or animals or anything like that (which is great, but not for me). I just like having fun colors.

My friend the teaches the 6th & 7th Graders does a hall of fame bulletin board. He leaves it up to the kids to place their work on the board that they feel deserves to be up there. It looked pretty awesome by the end of the year. He tends to just stay to solid colors and lots of student made things, but it looks great.

You just have to find what works for you.