Middle School Classroom Decor? Themes?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by justwanttoteach, Jul 19, 2017.

1. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jul 19, 2017

Summer is quickly coming to an end. Part of me is super excited to have a since of routine back. It has taken me a while to get used to sleeping in and relaxing on the couch all summer. Which is funny, when you consider I have about 3 weeks left. Anyways, I teach 7th grade English. In my classroom last year I didnt really have a theme or creativity going. (This is partly because I am not creative) This year I wanted to do a theme for decor. I am curious about what any other middle school teachers have come up with. Are any of you doing themes? Is this something reserved for elementary school?

3. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Jul 20, 2017

I also teach LA7. My theme can vary a little from year to year. I sometimes do a color scheme. However, I mostly have a "book" theme. Like my bulletin board borders are little books. I do a first month bulletin board of book genres and recommendations. I have pockets where kids can fill out book recommendation forms and then stick them in books in our classroom library. I have quotes about reading all over the room. Really, it's pretty simple. Most of my posters end up falling down anyway. I print the quotes on printer paper and they will stay up all year. Also, laminated stuff will not stick on our walls, so i am careful about that.

Another favorite theme is writing. I had a bulletin board set of things that had to do with writing like feather pens, type writers, poets, etc. I had all the different types of writing in a poster set. I had a poetry wall section and a word wall.

I should mention that most teachers in my middle school don't really decorate. Secondly, I think you should do something that reflects your personality. Like do you have a favorite sport or team? I've seen ss teachers who have a countries of the world theme. Our old science teacher had a huge thing of wildlife and animals. Another teacher is obsessed with a college sports team. Kids love her room.

I try not to overdo it and leave some room for student work and informational signs.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 20, 2017

I'm in elementary, and I've never done a random theme. Too baby-ish in many cases, and it takes away from the learning. Rather than "decorating" a classroom, it's better to focus on what visuals you can add to enhance and support your students' learning, as well as how you can set the tone for the type of learning environment you want your classroom to be. Just my opinion.

AlwaysAttend, MrsC and Leaborb192 like this.
  5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 21, 2017

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    mrsf70 likes this.
  6. kaitydid

kaitydid Rookie

Jul 22, 2017

I did owls my first year. My 8th graders loved them! I kept some of my owl stuff last year, mostly my welcome sign and reading posters, but I stuck with a color scheme: turquoise, yellow, pink, and gray. This year I'm expanding my color scheme theme to include more colors, so I'm going with a theme of rainbow colors and polka dots. I try not to overdo it, but I can't stand a bare room!

7. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Jul 24, 2017

To ImaTeacher, cute room! Thanks for posting the pictures.

I'm playing around with some different ideas for next year. I think kids might like emoji decor. Our walls are ugly, so there are a couple of spots I like to cover up.

8. Genesiser

Genesiser Rookie

Jul 26, 2017

Mine is going to be built around positivitity. It sounds vague at first but you'll get the idea in a second.

I'm going to write a poster that will be at the front of my room so they can always see it that basically says, "Most people know about the Butterfly Effect. That is that if you traveled back to the past the smallest thing you did could completely change the future. However, what we all fail to realize is the same holds true all the time and how you treat others can dramatically alter their future for either good or bad."

From there I'm going to be explaining how this classroom is intended to be their sanctuary from everything outside their class where it's all about learning math, and building relationships, even if they've never spoken to the other students despite possibly being in the same class for a couple years at some point.

When going over rules, I'm going to incorporate that poster by asking them if not following the rules could potentially alter someone's future for the good or bad and how it can change the feeling of the sanctuary. Basically, I'm also trying to help build emotional intelligence by learning about empathy.

Finally, I have six 6th grade classes so there will be 6 trees on the walls that start off barren that are called "The trees of goodness". When a student sees something that is good, they should take note of it, and give me a thumbs up so I can hand them a paper leaf where they write the name of who did what, and write what they did. At the end of the class I'll read the ones I saw and put them on the tree and the class with the most leaves at the end of 6 weeks will get a prize.

9. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 1, 2017

This! I used to be the teacher with busy designs. Then I read research that says not to do it because it interferes with learning. I'd rather kids learn than have a cool room.