Middle School and Morning Meeting

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Elocin, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Jan 7, 2012

We have started Morning Meeting with our 7/8 homerooms. It is only 15 minutes but our Ps would like us to incorporate a short game. So far I have played Hangman using a word that previews my news/announcement for the day and we did a "Categories" type game. Any ideas for something that is fun but not too babyish? The kids really dislike Morning Meeting so far and I am looking for something to draw them in a little more.

Thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2012

Can you do some kind of on-going game, where they get to take a turn at each meeting?

Maybe play a group game?

My students love risk...I have a variety that I play with them when learning about the middle ages. They also love monopoly.

Another route might be an on-going card tournament...spoons is really big right now.

4. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Jan 7, 2012

Mopar-thanks for the ideas. I have 25 students so I don't know if an ongoing board game would work if they each only got to take a turn every few days :-\ I like the idea of a card game though....maybe I can figure out something we could do on the Smartboard so everyone could take a turn going up.

Also, is your middle ages game something you created or bought? I am doing Middle Ages in my 7th grade classes right now and I'd love to hear more.

Thanks so much!

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2012

It is something that I created. If you PM me with your email, I can send you the packet I give the kids.

I also have a monopoly, jeopardy, who wants to be a millionaire game, etc for the smartboard. If you want these, let me know.

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 7, 2012

When I taught 6th grade they loved "silent ball." Kids sit on their desks and toss a ball (preferably something like a koosh ball) around. No talking and the goal is to get people out by having them miss when the ball is thrown to them. Baselines about tossing speed (no pelting!) are thoroughly discussed. People who are out sit back in their seats. Anyone who talks is automatically out and have to sit. My hubs teaches 7th grade and his kids play it sometimes too.

My 5th graders like "wonder ball." We stand in a circle and chant "The wonder ball goes round and round, you must not let it touch the ground, for if you do I'm telling you, you are out." Anyone who drops the ball during a pass is out and whoever holds the ball on the word "out" is also out. They sit down and the circle gets smaller. I have final say on who actually has the ball on the word "out" so that if John is holding it and then tosses it to David next to him I would let John know he was out. Or if it's close to the word "out" and David won't take the ball so it falls on the ground then I'd tell David he was out.

A quick and easy one is "zoom." One person starts and says "zoom" and the person next to him/her says "zoom" and it goes around the circle. I set a timer to see how fast we can be. Usually first round is 8-9 seconds and by the third and final one we're at 4-5 seconds.

7. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jan 7, 2012

I like a game I've just always called "Claps." Players sit or stand in a circle. They are not allowed to talk. The first player turns to the person on his or her right and both players try to clap at the exact same time so that it sound like one person. The clap gets passed around the circle, with the goal, of course, being to build speed.

Could you explain a little bit more about how you're incoporating morning meeting in middle school? I love the idea of it, but I don't have a home room, and my class periods are only 45 minutes long...

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2012

I have lots of quick games to play to give students a break during class, but I think something more meaningful would be of value in your situation. Could you collaborate with other grade-level teachers? That would open many possibilities. I just fail to see the point of starting the day with a game of Heads Up, Seven Up...fun though it may be. :)

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2012

And for what it's worth, if I had Morning Meeting time I would probably rotate between:

1. Community-Building Games (such as those described by Kagan)
    2. Academic Check-Up (how are your grades, need help?)
    3. Current Events (lots you could do...would love to have the time!)

Are these possibilities?

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 10, 2012

I did a lot of Kagan Team-Building and Community-Building activities with my group last year. I had them for 20 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes in the afternoon.

11. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jan 12, 2012

Sometimes when I have a few minutes to kill, I tell the students that when I had tea with the queen I found out she likes coffee, but not tea. She would invite Penny but not Angie. I give a few more examples of things she likes (green but not orange, cookies, not scones) until a student figures out that she likes things with double letters. They add their own statements. You'd be surprised how long it takes for kids to figure it out. I have heard this called "Tillie Williams" also.