Middle Grades or Secondary Education

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by inspireNteach, Jul 19, 2013.

1. inspireNteach

inspireNteach Rookie

Jul 19, 2013

Which one would you choose for the best career outlook?

I figure there are typically more middle schools than high schools in an area, so that's one tic mark for middle schools.

But secondary English (at least around here) is 6-12, so I could possible teach middle, high, and, if I can't find a job in public school, community college. So that's another tic mark for high schools.

Any more? Which direction would you take?

3. Sarge88

Sarge88 Rookie

Jul 19, 2013

From what I know and understand, I think the best career outlook between a high school and a middle school would be middle school. I'm not sure how your state has the grades broken up by licenses, but in Ohio, it is middle childhood: 4-9 and adolescent: 7-12. With that being said, I have spoke with a principal and have heard from many teachers that middle school teachers are in demand more so than high school. I think the reason being is that we all know how middle school students are (not all of them) and that some teacher can't handle it. That is just what I have heard and have kind of experienced when substitute teaching for a little.
    Hope this helps!

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2013

FL has the 6-12 certification, as well. I can't really speak as to which is more in-demand these days, but it's a nice range, in case you start with HS and would rather be MS or vice versa.

5. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 19, 2013

Typically middle grades teachers graduate with 2 content areas of certification and high school only 1. That was at least the case at the university I went to. You can of course add certifications by taking GACE tests. I think your probably better off doing 6-12 and getting certified in at least 2 content areas. Just remember that if you pick history, science, or math there are multiple tests required to teach each of the desciplines within those subjects. I think English is just one test. So if you choose history plan to take 5 additional tests(well 10 if you count each part of the test) and science is I think 4, and math is broken up to 4 as well I believe.

6. ayla

ayla Companion

Jul 19, 2013

In my state, middle school math is almost irrelevant at this point because they want everyone high school certified so that they can teach algebra. So you would definitely want to do 6-12 if it is for math.

7. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 19, 2013

You can check your state's dept. education website to see if they have a listing of shortage areas-- certs and specialties that are needed.

8. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 19, 2013

At least where I live, middle school teachers are higher in demand than both secondary and elementary--some middle schools in neighboring counties have extremely high turnover rates as well. In NC all you need to do is take the Praxis II to be certified in other content areas, so while my initial certification was in MG Social Studies, I've added MG Math, MG Science, Secondary Social Studies, Secondary Science, and Elementary. Our Middle Grades being 6-9, and Secondary being grades 9-12. So you aren't necessarily (depending on your state) restricted to the grade levels you take your educational coursework in.