Middle Grade Learning Centers for Language Arts?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by MrsRedhead, Oct 12, 2005.

1. MrsRedhead

MrsRedhead New Member

Oct 12, 2005

Hi! I'm new here...and a Teacher Education student. I have to do a learning center for middle grades Language Arts or Literature. I'm finding it very difficult to find resources to help this project along. Does anyone out there have any suggestions.

Thanks, :)
    Shanna

3. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005

I have not had a lot of luck with this either. I have browsed teacher stores and the web and everything seems geared toward elementary. I did find file folder for grammar games for 5th and 6th grade and made those but its just not enough.
    The only other thought I had was a writing center - give a prompt and have them right. I just don't think that seems like enough.

4. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Oct 13, 2005

I can't really think of any resources... there doesn't seem to be a lot out there for centers in the middle/upper grades.

When I have worked with middle grades, this is what I have used:
    Feature Center- This center focuses on some feature of text- alliteration, personification, etc. They have several tasks to complete each time they use the center (2-6 times depending on the length). For example, when we had the alliteration center, they first worked on identifying it (and highlighting or writing down the examples), the next time, they found it in picture books and the last time, they rolled a dice with letters on the side and had to try to make their own paragraph that was full of alliteration).

Writing Trait Center- We use 6 + 1 traits, so this center might last 2-4 weeks and focus on one of the traits. They find examples in picture books or short stories (and write justification), they improve my paragraphs (I write them myself, but take examples from exactly how students write), and they focus on it for a writing prompt. To make the writing prompts fun, they roll a dice and then write to that prompt. We have multi-levels and ELL students, so they each know their level, roll that color of dice and then find the prompt on the same-colored prompt sheet.

Listening Center- Mmm... so nice to have a listening center. They get to chose to listen to several children's books and then write to the theme (courage, diversity, etc.) OR listen to a chapter book/short story and write journal entries on the theme. The chapter books/short stories aren't long. I expect that this center takes 4-6 sessions per theme- 3-4 to listen to the texts and 1-3 to focus on the writing.

We really had them complete one center per day. Those centers that were shorter were fine- I had them focus on reading their pleasure book when they were finished. They could grab a few cushions and lounge on the floor.

I don't know if this was the help you were looking for, but it is my 2 cents :).

5. MrsRedhead

MrsRedhead New Member

Oct 14, 2005

Thanks so much. I do appreciate the ideas!

The best I can come up with so far is I'm going to use mythology with three related activities. I hope it works out.

6. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Oct 15, 2005

I'm a first grade teacher, but I gave some good (in my humble opinion) to some other teachers for centers for middle schoolers.

Editing center- display a poster of editor's markings and provide some teacher-made texts with spelling, format and grammatical errors. Red pens, too.

A partner-games center in which games can rotate or not. Parts-of-speech scrabble- multiply (oooh... a cross-curricular connection, too!) the point value by 1 for noun, 2 for verb, 3 for adverb, 4 for adjective, etc. Another game (I did this one when I student taught in English 5-6) that's fun is scattergories- create a new scattergories form (parts of speech, authors, books etc.) and provide the dice from your own scattergories game. Get a different timer, though, because the scattergories one is just too loud!

Journal prompts, story starters and those magnetic poetry sets lend themselves naturally to centers too.

7. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Oct 15, 2005

These are great ideas to get started - an editing center is perfect for my LA class because they seem to have a problem with this one. They bring me things to review that have obvious errors and they expect me to fix it for them. I have been sending them back to their seat but they only seem to fix one problem then bring it right to me. I thought since they were in 6th grade they knew how to do this......there must be some resources out there for this - thank yo for all the ideas

8. MrsRedhead

MrsRedhead New Member

Oct 16, 2005

Great ideas! Thanks! I will definitely be using a game. I like the Scattergories idea...and from my observations I can definitely see the need for the editing as well!