Middle and High School Behavior

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by AMAHOGANY, Feb 28, 2006.

1. AMAHOGANY

AMAHOGANY Rookie

Feb 28, 2006

Hello Everyone

I am in need of some ideas for proper middle school and high school behavior and class management. I was just reading the threads and I don't want to treat them like they are babies. God forbid they will be posting things about me, so I just wanted some ideas on if any reward systems that work for this age group. Also are seating charts ok or are they just for the elementary bunch. I have great ideas for elementary but with middle and high schoolers I am a little lost

3. wig

wig Devotee

Feb 28, 2006

I teach middle school. What type of behaviors are you referring to?

I do not reward expected behaviors.

4. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Feb 28, 2006

Seating chart: DEFINITELY. How can YOU learn their names quickly if you don't? Later in the year, IF they are well-behaved and earn the privilege, you can let them choose their seat.

Reward system: bonus points work well for this age group. Ask them several really hard bonus questions daily; give a few EC points for the first student to answer you.

Great ideas: How do you know they'll work or not, unless you give them a try?

Don't show fear. Secondary students are like dogs; they can smell it.

Expect excellence. Don't "settle." If you expect it, you'll always get it, if only from a handful of kids.

Stay calm. Yelling never helps. Arrange your week so they know what to expect every day, at least most of the time.

Love them. Especially the difficult ones. I'm serious, you can do it, and they will know it, and it makes an incredible difference.

Don't touch them, as a general rule. Don't believe everything they tell you, either.

Make a very large wooden restroom pass. Be sure it says "RESTROOM" on it, so it's a little embarassing to be seen with. Require all students to carry it whenever they leave your room to go to the restroom. Of course, ideally, your students have agendas with a certain amount of bathroom passes in them.

Make VERY FEW exceptions to your rules. That way, when you DO, it means something. And because you seldom do, your rules mean something.

Make and update a website for your classes. Be sure there's a way for students and parents to email you from the site. Schoolnotes is perfect for this.

I could go on and on. But I'll stop now, before you start snoring.

5. AMAHOGANY

AMAHOGANY Rookie

Feb 28, 2006

My thing is this you hear such horror stories with Middle School and High School so I just kinda wanted some advice on what works in the classroom and what doesn't as far as behavior and reward techiniques.

6. AMAHOGANY

AMAHOGANY Rookie

Feb 28, 2006

Thank you so much Jane you are so helpful. I appreciate any advice.

7. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Mar 29, 2006

WHen I first returned to school I was sure I wanted to teach elementary school. I am now teaching 6th grade and I LOVE THEM!

I have 3 children of my own and honestly I treat them like they are my own. They know my expectations and the consequences.

With middle school I truly think you need a great sense of humor and learn to let some things slide. For instance there is one teacher that goes crazy if the boys have a hat on in the hallway (even a winter hat) I let it slide and point to my head - they get it. Sometimes you have to choose your arguements - like you do with your own kids.

The one thing I did this year - I called parents the first week of school and complimented their kids, introduced myself, made sure they had my email. Let me tell you when I had to call with a problem they had a good first impression of me.

I also greet my homeroom at the door every morning. I say good morning, Have a terrific Tuesday and such. This lets them know I care.