Mid Year Resignation Lesson Plans

Discussion in 'General Education' started by chocolatefix2020, Dec 31, 2019.

1. chocolatefix2020

chocolatefix2020 Rookie

Dec 31, 2019

I’m a 12 year teacher and made the decision not to return the spring semester. I told my principal prior to the holiday break and submitted my resignation letter. I’d like for this to be a smooth transition since I’m resigning mid year but unsure what to do.

I teach 3 different high school courses. Should I leave lesson plans for the next 3 weeks, quarter, or semester? I’m sure it will be ideal to leave a semester worth of plans, but I really don’t want to do all that. Maybe I should just leave a few lesson plans, the course frameworks and let the sub figure it out?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  3. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Dec 31, 2019

I would definitely leave 2-3 weeks of plans along with the course curriculum. What about leaving plans from a prior year that may help the new person to get a feel for the courses?

chocolatefix2020 and otterpop like this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 31, 2019

I took over a class in March one year. It was the days before internet, pacing guides, and standardized lesson plan formats. The teacher left me a copy of the program of studies and her lesson plan books from the year.

chocolatefix2020 likes this.
  5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Dec 31, 2019

I’d leave a course description (such as your syllabus that includes grading policies) with a few lesson plans that follow your typical routine and then an outline/curriculum map of the rest of the year. Give them enough to see the routine your students have been working with. Don’t lesson plan yourself to death; you are leaving and they are not paying you for weeks of planning.

If it’s easy to print out last year’s lessons, that’s a good idea. I’m not sure about your area, but in mine we often have a long term sub for a long while before they are able to hire someone for mid year changes.

Good luck in your next endeavor and congrats on making a choice that’s the smartest for you on a personal level.

6. chocolatefix2020

chocolatefix2020 Rookie

Dec 31, 2019

Thanks for the feedback. One course will be a new semester course I’ve never taught. The other two courses includes lesson plans with video clips, open discussion, and projects requiring materials that may be challenging to put into a lesson.

I think 3 weeks of lessons will be fair. Maybe enough to get students to the interim reporting period.

7. chocolatefix2020

chocolatefix2020 Rookie

Dec 31, 2019

Great advice and thank you! I’m both nervous and excited regarding my next phase. It’s time for me to move forward.

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 31, 2019

can you share what you will be doing?
    Good luck!

9. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Dec 31, 2019

No kidding! If you keep a 2 week emergency sub packet, I'd give them that. They are not paying you to write plans for wks in advance.

otterpop and chocolatefix2020 like this.
  10. chocolatefix2020

chocolatefix2020 Rookie

Dec 31, 2019

Honestly I’m resigning without a solid backup plan, but I’ve mapped out a business plan and intend to start a virtual assistant online business. I just renewed my teaching license but will give myself a year to get my business up and running. If all else fails, I’ll return to the classroom. Right now I’m experiencing horrible burnout and just need time away from the classroom.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  11. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Dec 31, 2019

It is so good that you not only spotted the burn out, but found a way to get out of the system. I wish you the best of luck in your new business! I recognized the burn out, but it took me a couple of yrs to get out of the classroom. This is my last yr and I am really excited! <3

chocolatefix2020 likes this.
  12. chocolatefix2020

chocolatefix2020 Rookie

Jan 1, 2020

Thank you! I’ve been planning my so called escape since 2017, but the time never seemed quite right. My resignation was actually sudden. I woke up 3AM panicked with anxiety and just told myself enough is enough. I submitted my resignation prior to the winter break and felt a huge burden lifted.

It’s a wonder I’ve made it these 12 years, and the students honestly deserve better. Just can’t pour from an empty cup.

Best of luck to you too! What will you do now that you’re leaving the profession?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  13. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Jan 1, 2020

Planning your escape.....:) I can relate! They really are putting too much on teacher's plates nowadays. Waking up at 3 am panicked w/ anxiety would definitely be a sign to say, "Enough!" Having that burden lifted is great! Once I made up my mind that this yr was it, I felt the same. I think it is a wonder a lot of teachers make it through a year w/ the load of work and lack of discipline in a lot of schools.
    I was fortunate to have started out in a time and place that I had a lot of fun for many yrs. Then I moved to a place that has some crazy issues that I had never experienced before. I made myself "push through it" to get close to retirement age, but it has gone from crazy to insanity. I realized there is no way I want to do it another yr.
    I am still quite a few yrs away before I can get SS/ Medicare, but I am really tired of the politics more than anything. I'm sick of what has become "politically correct." They dump about any problem in our classrooms nowadays and expect us to cope. If you complain that some1 is disrupting, hitting, kicking, cussing, or spitting, you are told it is a part of their disability. Therefore, there are no consequences.
    The kid just gets bigger and worse, while other kids sitting on the fence, sometimes hop on over to the naughty side because there are no consequences. The kids who want to learn are usually shocked, dismayed, and lose a lot of instruction time.
    As for what I'll do, first I plan on resting and doing a few things that will be good for me.
    I am not planning on getting another job. I hope you can give yourself sometime to rest up, detox from the stress, and your business idea takes off! :)