Mid-Summer Slump?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by gutterballjen, Jul 7, 2012.

1. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Jul 7, 2012

Is it me or has the number of job postings dropped considerably over the past few weeks? At the beginning of the summer there were a ton of job postings, and a lot of my friends got hired. Now, there are just a few new ones each day if there are any at all. It's starting to get me worried about getting a job for next year. Is this normal, and will there be more job openings later this summer? :unsure:

3. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 7, 2012

I think it depends on where you live. Most of our schools are done or close to being done their hiring as school begins in a few weeks. I have heard of people being hired up until the day before school starts, so keep looking!

4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 7, 2012

Remember this was the week of the 4th. Many schools may have taken off all week.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2012

My district has done most of its hiring already and has lined up candidates for interviews for the remaining positions.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2012

Many districts in my area are just interviewing now because the new budget year begins on July 1. Don't give up yet! My district has 129 jobs posted as of Friday.

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 7, 2012

Around here principals are off in July. A majority of the hiring is done before school gets out. The only positions left opern right now are hard to fill positions and blanket "selected elementary positions". However, I would expect a few more positions to open up as people who were hired elsewhere give notice over the next month, I think they have about 3 more weeks to turn it in.

8. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2012

As the PP poster said, around here principals are on vacation right now. Most will return at the end of July and interviews may begin again.

Also, as someone else said, a lot of the hiring will happen as school begins. There will be some teachers that resign over the summer. I think many contract state teachers have to give notice at least 30 days before school begins. That means mid to late July may have new postings.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2012

It can vary from region to region, but I'd say at least 2/3 of schools are done hiring. July is a slow month (with last week being the slowest of all due to the holiday). The majority of the positions that will open up for 2012-2013 will be last minute.

I have one more interview, and if I don't get this job, I will accept the fact that I will be stuck in NC for another year. Unfortunately, we start about 2 1/2 weeks before the area I am looking in starts- this means I can't do a last minute hire. :(

10. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jul 7, 2012

Stay hopeful. A lot of districts do mass hiring just before school starts.

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 7, 2012

My district hires a majority of teachers now and in August. Keep looking!

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2012

I think a lot of it is probably done.

But all it takes is ONE. So it's time to redouble your efforts!

13. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 8, 2012

It is probably nearly done in most places. But in my area, it hasn't changed that much. There is a slow trickle, and that is how it's been since Spring. That's to say, not much! A little less this week due to the fourth but still postings going up.

I was hired for my first job in late August. Some districts allow teachers to resign as late as July 30. So there is always a chance!

14. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2012

It's definitely not uncommon to see slows in the hiring process. But keep in mind that many teachers have found other jobs and left their current job. These jobs will be getting posted soon, so keep checking!

15. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Jul 8, 2012

A lot can happen between July and August, especially with budgets being approved last minute. Hang in there.

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 9, 2012

July is really the only month principals have off around here, so there may not be much progress in hiring.

17. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Jul 9, 2012

I am not sure if this will make you feel any better, but it sometimes helps brighten my mood. Several weeks ago I was curious as to the month with the most hirings. I went back to last year on this board and counted the number of people who announced their new jobs for each month from April through August. Obviously, this is not a very scientific way to figure it out, but I still wanted to know. June, July and August were very close to tied with the number of people saying they landed a new job. There were quite a few in each of those months. So, we're not out of this yet.

18. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 9, 2012

Last year I received 2 job offers in August if that makes you feel better. In all honesty, much of the hiring has been done already but there are still positions being listed and still interviewing being done. I have two interviews coming up so districts - at least around me - are not all together done.