microwaving baby formula

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by minnie, Mar 15, 2010.

1. minnie

minnie Cohort

Mar 15, 2010

My baby is a month old. Unfortunately, breast feeding did not work for me so I am formula feeding her. I put the bottles in the microwave for 30 seconds AT THE MOST. Now, I am hearing that microwaving can destroy nutients in the milk. Is that true? I'm freaking out because I'm afraid my baby is not getting what she needs. :(

3. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2010

Not sure, but microwaving isn't really a good practice anyway. Microwaving heats unevenly and is said to carry a risk of burns.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 15, 2010

My parents I aren't big fans of microwaves either. My mom doesn't even want me to stand near one when it's on/cooking because of radiation. We only use it when absolutely necessary. (We only have one because it was already an included appliance w/ the house my parents bought.)

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 15, 2010

I heard about microwaves killing nutrients for a while now.

Can you heat up the bottle using one of those bottle warming dealies? Sorry, I have no clue what they are called, but I've seen them on tv before. You stick the bottle in and plug it in. This sounds like a much healthier way to warm up the formula.

6. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Mar 15, 2010

I have heard that for breastmilk, but I hadn't heard that about formula.

I rarely have formula left to microwave! My son drinks it all gone typically. Now, I will microwave the water first, to get it warm, then add the formula. Even if I "nuke" the formula, I always shake it really good to distribute the heat, and test it before I give it to him.

I'm sorry to hear breastfeeding didn't work out for you. I was miserable at first, and it hurt so much, but once we got past that, I really liked the closeness and the bonding. I miss that, even though bottle feeding makes life easier.

If you are worried about it, get a bottle warmer. They work pretty well, and I haven't had one take too long to warm up the bottle -- a few minutes at most. :) Good luck, whatever you decide!

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 15, 2010

You can warm it by putting it in hot water (either running hot water from the sink or boiling water first), but I would invest in an instant bottle warmer. You can buy them at Walmart starting at $15 and they heat in about 1-2 minutes. Some of the fancier ones will even keep 2 bottles cold as well so you could just leave them in the nursery and they are ready for night feedings.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2010

OK, bad mom alert.

I microwaved it all the time. So did my sisters and my friends.

I did, of course, stir it pretty well to distribute the heat-- I'm not THAT bad a mom.

But it worked fine for all 3 kids.

9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2010

We used warm water.
    If you pre-make it, warm it by soaking it in a class og hot water.

Consider that your baby may enjoy a cooler drink too.

10. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2010

We either boiled the water on the stove and put the bottle in it or we used the microwave to heat the water and put the bottle in it that way. Either way seemed to work. But I also used the drop ins where you can't put it into the microwave because the liner will melt.

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2010

I also microwaved all of the time. My kids are healthy and smart! However, by kid #3 we also just gave up microwaving and fed her room temp. bottles. She is also healthy and smart.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2010

Can I say I did a combo?!? Well, I didn't use bottles except for when I was working & didn't use formula... but we would heat a glass of water in the microwave & then let the bottle sit in the "hot" water to warm it up.

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 16, 2010

With my first child, I lovingly stood at the sink running warm to hot water and vigorously shook the bottle underneath the running stream until just the perfect temperature.

With my second, I stuck my finger in the stream until it felt ok, and filled the bottle with luke warm tap water. If it didn't feel right, I threw it in the microwave for a few seconds.

Both are the happiest, healthiest children I know!

14. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2010

At the first sound of feeding time, I would head to the kitchen and have the water run until it was hot; then I would add it to a tall plastic glass and then add the bottle (w/formula already in it) and let it sit and warm up.
    I would then change my little one and by the time we were done cooing and such :) we would head out to the kitchen and the bottle was perfect!

One of my dear friends ALWAYS microwaved the bottles and shook, shook, shook, til it was all evenly distributed.

So, I guess it all depends on what works best for you. :)

Now a days though, I would invest in a bottle warmer.

15. nykteacher

nykteacher Rookie

Mar 19, 2010

With my older daughter, I started with the liquid formula, so I put it in the microwave, and shook shook shook! Eventually, I switched to powdered formula, and then I would just mix it with room temperature bottled water I left on the counter, and not bother heating it at all. My pediatrician suggested this, so I never had to worry about temperature at all. By the time my younger daughter was born, we were in a 2 story home, and I was too lazy to go up and down in the middle of the night, so we had the fancy bottle warmer that came with a cooler to keep 2 bottles cold until ready to heat.

16. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Mar 19, 2010

Just make sure you don't use a bottle warmer if you use bottles that require liners. Common sense...but working at a baby store for 5 years..it's amazing how people couldn't figure this out.

I say go room temperature. Will make it easier while you are out. They do make travel warmers that can plug into a lighter in your car, but that just adds to the hassle.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2010

Yeah, that...me too....
    I have a 24 and 20 year old who were bottle-fed on powdered Enfamil formula, sometimes nuked, sometimes with out of the tap water...:eek:....and they are healthy, smart, cute, responsible young men...don't you have enough to worry about? Let this one go...

18. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Mar 19, 2010

I nursed my girls about 90% of the time. When a bottle was needed, I would run a large mug of hot water and set the bottle in it ONLY IF it had been in the refrigerator-- same procedure for breast milk or formula. If I was mixing up some new formula, I used room temperature water. *I bought the nursery water that had "added" nutrients in it of some sort. * I didn't want to run into a situation where my little one would be fussy with the temp of the milk/formula. It worked for both of my girls... no issues at all.

19. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Mar 19, 2010

A crockpot of water works well, too. :)

20. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 20, 2010

Use of the microwave is not allowed in most day cares. The milk can heat unevenly and burn the baby.

We always heated the bottles in the crock pot. And, if you have a fussy baby with colic, mixing the formula and letting it sit overnight seems to help.

21. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

Mar 20, 2010

Times have changed! With baby #1 (26 years ago), I had the liquid concentrate, boiled the bottles and nipples, and boiled the water from the tap used to mix. Premade all bottles, and heated them in a pan of boiling water. It took as long to warm the bottle as it did for him to drink it. Didn't get a microwave until he was 11 months old. Baby #2(22 years ago), concentrated formula, premixed bottle, no more boiling of nipples etc( got lazy!) Microwave to heat. Traveling was a pin with these methods. Baby #3(16 years ago) Discovered powdered formula!! Warm or room temp water add powder, shake and feed! Yippee!!It's interesting that the only reason I heard that we heat formula is to mimic the warmth that normally would be experianced by breastfeeding. A baby that has never been breastfed doesn't know the difference. Room temp was fine. And to think of all the ime I wasted with #1 when there was bottled water and powdered formula avalible at the time.

22. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Mar 20, 2010

I used the microwave all the time too, and my kids have turned out just fine. We didn't overheat the milk, and made sure to shake it to avoid hot spots.

23. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Mar 20, 2010

i never micorwaved. My daughers just drank the formula at room temperature, that was just easier for me.