Microwaves, fridges in the classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Aug 16, 2012.

?

What's in your classroom?

1. Fridge only

14 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Microwave only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Fridge and microwave

18 vote(s)
    25.7%
  4. Neither

36 vote(s)
    51.4%
  5. Other

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

Our district really wants teachers not to have these things in their rooms anymore in an effort to save on energy costs. Until I am explicitly told that I can't have them, I'm going to have them. My portable is so far away from the rest of the school that lunch time logistics will be a nightmare if I have to go to the main building.

So....How many of you have a fridge (mini or full-sized) and/or microwave in your classroom?

(In related news, I need a new fridge. Something is wrong with the compressor or thermostat on mine and it overcools, i.e., freezes, everything. I think it's probably cheaper to just replace the whole fridge rather than try to deal with repairs.)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

We can't have any of the listed appliances.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 16, 2012

I have a fridge, no microwave. I'm actually right across the hall from the lounge and can use the microwave there, and usually do for lunch. I use the fridge for drinks and snacks that I keep at work.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 16, 2012

I have both... and a hot pot for tea in the winter. I guess I work so many hours (I get there at 6:30, lol) that no one fusses.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2012

Not allowed either. Or any appliance aside from a radio and desk lamp.

7. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 16, 2012

I have a fridge in my classroom. A lot of teachers have them in their rooms, too. It's under the counter that's adjacent to my desk, and most people never even see it. In fact, last year I took something out of it one day, and my special ed co-teacher (who sometimes even sits at my desk) said that she never even realized it was there!

We also have a full-sized fridge in the teachers' lounge, but I never use that one.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2012

A fridge came in my office, but I have never had or needed an appliance in my room. So far this year I have only used my fridge for water. I don't have time during lunch for an actual lunch.

9. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 16, 2012

We're allowed 1 of each per grade level or department. I am the keeper for my department.

10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 16, 2012

I can't believe how many people have these things in their room haha. Luckily my room is right next to one of the 6 faculty rooms where there is a fridge, bathroom, and microwave.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

They aren't allowed outside of the staff room or caretakers' office. The staff room has two full size fridges and 3 microwaves; the caretakers have one of each.

12. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 16, 2012

My elementary only has 1 full size fridge for the whole staff. I can't imagine that 50 people would be able to safely store a packed lunch each day in one. There are also the usual issues of missing items, or forgotten things in the shared fridge. I am so happy to have one in my room. This year I took a Brita pitcher to keep so no more plastic water bottles for me! Cheaper & better for environment.

13. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2012

Our district has even cracked down on extra lamps in rooms to cut electricity costs. Micro and fridge while it would be nice this year since I eat alone in my room everyday (first year of that happening), not allowed.

14. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 16, 2012

We aren't allowed to have any of these things but my friend down the hall has both hidden in her walk in closet. As far as random appliances go I have a hot plate for chem experiments.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 16, 2012

I had both in my room until this year. I didn't particularly need them at work, but I had them. We don't have a lounge. It was handy to keep drinks, salad dressing, etc.

We were actually supposed to take them out about three years ago, but out principal didn't say anything about it until this year. The superintendent was at school looking at some structural issues in the building, and they were in MY room . . . and he saw my fridge. Dang it!

Now they're all gone. I'm back to a lunchbox and ice pack. No biggie. Now my mini-fridge is in my kitchen with drinks in it.

16. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Aug 16, 2012

I have a fridge, microwave and coffee pot.

17. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 16, 2012

I have a mini fridge in my room. I keep water, juice, and snacks in there. It comes in handy on days when I've left home in the mornings without breakfast.

18. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 16, 2012

This is the first year that we are not allowed to have a microwave or refrigerator. I am going to miss them very much!

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 16, 2012

One teacher in my "wing" has a microwave that we all use.

Many teachers have both a refrigerator and microwave in their rooms.

20. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 16, 2012

It never occurred to me that I should have one. I teach in a small school and most teachers go home for lunch. There is more than enough space in the staff fridge, and with an hour for lunch there is plenty of time to use the 1 microwave.

21. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 16, 2012

They are not allowed.

Plus, the lounge is a 20 second walk from my classroom.

22. MaggieB

MaggieB Rookie

Aug 16, 2012

Fridge, MW, and Mr Ice Tea maker.

23. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2012

We are not allowed to bring anything in. Those that previously had them can keep them. However, you had to buy a fire extinguisher if you had a microwave.

24. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2012

We're not allowed to have them in our rooms. In the three different schools I've been at, two did not allow it. At the other school I had both a fridge and microwave.

25. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2012

I have a fridge and a microwave. I am on of the few in my school that does. In my grade level I was the only one with a fridge until the other day when one of my coworkers bought a fridge.

26. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 16, 2012

I have a mini-fridge and a microwave. About half of the teachers at my school have one or both. The fridge has drinks and my lunch, also some yogurt and cheese sticks. I have low blood sugar issues, so I try to always have those in there. The microwave doesn't get used much during the day unless I need to heat water for science. There is the odd bag of popcorn popped in there.

27. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 16, 2012

I haven't seen anyone that has one. We have 30 minutes for lunch, but by the time I drop them off, go to the staff lounge, walk back to get them, use the restroom...it ends up being 20 at the most. I try not to bring anything that needs to be heated because that cuts down on my time to actually eat. One thing I'm really liking about my new school is that people are actually social and eat in the lounge...in my last school everyone would just work in their rooms during lunch. Having the few minutes of conversation with adults is an important recharging break for me, and it's not like you can get that much done in your room when you have to eat also anyway.

28. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Aug 17, 2012

We are allowed to have them at my school. I would say about 25% of the staff have one or both. I have a Mini-fridge (medium sized one - 3.5 feet tall) only. I find that I eat healthier by having my fridge. I store bottled water, salads for lunch, dressing, yogurt, and pudding/Jello.

29. heartofateacher

heartofateacher Companion

Aug 17, 2012

I have both, as do most teachers at my school and also the school that I just left.

30. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 17, 2012

I don't have any of those items. I do have a coffee pot but only use it when the kids aren't around like after school or on a PD day.

31. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Aug 17, 2012

We are not allowed to have these either. However the "special" people can- and I don't mean those who have medical needs!:mad:

32. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Aug 17, 2012

They're not allowed in our rooms. The faculty lounge has a full-sized refrigerator, but good luck using it. It's stuffed full of insulated lunch bags. I thought you could use ice packs in those to keep them cold?

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 17, 2012

Neither is in either of my rooms, but it would be nice to have a little fridge.

34. Ross

Ross Comrade

Aug 17, 2012

None of the above listed items are allowed. Not even a coffee maker. :(

35. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Aug 17, 2012

I have both.. the Fridge is for my drinks and every teacher at our school except a few have one.

I also have a microwave, but it's not "mine" I'm basically the holder of the microwave for our building because I have room for it.

36. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2012

Only the K room has a fridge, and it's for the kids' snacks/drinks.

We do have a mini-fridge in a storage room in each hallway, so 5 teachers share each. It's big enough for each person to have a few drinks/snacks stored. We have two shelves of the large fridge in the kitchen for our lunches, and are also able to use the freezer if needed. There's a microwave in there and in the workroom.

37. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2012

No coffee maker for me either. I had one in my office until early last year, when new guidelines came down and I had to get rid of it. I miss the convenience of the coffee and everyone in the hallway missed the smell of my flavoured coffee when they come in in the morning.

38. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Aug 17, 2012

I have a fridge in my classroom and so do many of the teachers. We eat breakfast, lunch, and snacks in our classrooms.

39. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Aug 17, 2012

Actually in my room I have a fridge. I do have a storage room that has a coffee pot which is used a lot. I drink a lot of coffee in the mornings. The teacher's lounge is too far away from my room for me to get there and back in three minutes (with crowded hallways). This is also a big reason why I use the student restroom, which is much closer.

40. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 17, 2012

I get to have a fridge after two years without one. It helps me stay focused. Really. I can get a cold drink and not leave earlier than I'd planned just because I was thirsty or have to tote a bazillion bottles of room temp water.

41. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2012

None of those applicances are in our classrooms.

But our faculty room contains:
    - 3 commercial (LARGE) fridges
    - 2 toaster ovens
    - 4 (I think) microwaves
    - a 4 selection juice machine
    - 2 coffee machines. One does tea and hot chocolate too, the other does I'm not sure what, since I don't drink coffee.

They also bring in a couple of urns containing cucumber, lemon, and strawberry ice water each day.