Michigan Science Standards

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Camel13, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Camel13

Camel13 Companion

Aug 6, 2017

I am a brand new Science 6-12th teacher in Michigan. I believe we are required to start teaching the new standards this year, but I don't feel like my rural district principal has a lot of knowledge on this. I have gone through the standards and tried to align them to grade and subject, attempting to break them throughout the topics for each grade throughout the year. Yet, I've read some things that seem to indicate they are not used like the older Common Core was in aligning individual lessons. I feel like my principle wants to see this though. Are some teachers still using the older standards to show meeting criteria for lessons but the NGSS for overarching assessment?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 6, 2017

Your district should have been implementing them last year in grades 6-12 and K-5 starts this year. Unless Michigan had a different rollout than we did in NJ.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2017

Sometimes, it is more about what the person in charge wants to see, as to formatting. Honestly, there's not that much difference between NJ's old standards and NGSS. Best teachers have been incorporating the same concepts all along. We just have different numbers to put on plans.